my oregon general bull

Talk anything related to bowhunting
killerbee

Re: my oregon general bull

Post by killerbee » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:57 pm

Hiker wrote:Killerbee, With the family and all. Great Job! Way to go my friend. =D> How did you haul it out?
uh, funny you should ask ](*,)
it's a long story, i will try to give a short version: I get cell phone sevice where i was hunting, so i called my wife and told her the news just minuts after the shot. she tries to convince me that her dad could come help me get it out. me[ being a little stoked after the whole hunt]thought i could easily do it myself. ](*,) so i said don't worry , i'll have it out in an hour! i was able to drive my truck closer, about a hundred yrds or so, so i jog the hike to the truck. i think a little " mighty mouse" attitude came over me and i thought at first i would just drag the elk to the truck- load it up- and drive away..................................................[it's kinda funny, i guided for elk in New Mexico for 9 yrs, had hunters shoot a lot of elk, you would think i would know that i couldn't do this ](*,) ] anyway-- after trying to drag the elk i thought" thats stupid, theres no way you can drag a whole elk 100 yrds to the truck".... so i cut the bull into 1/2. front/back. so i did drag both halves to the truck. now i just had to "toss" them in i drive away lol ... anyway- i pick up the back half, and with all my might, try to get it to the tailgate. just when it was about to get the weight on the tailgate i lost it.-----100% of my energy-----GONE!!!!! so then i had to quater the back half to load it. got it done. now all i had to do was just pick up the head , neck, 2 front shoulders, and the front 1/2 of the rib cage and "toss" it in and drive away................... ETC.ETC,ETC.ETC. man that was dumb......... ended up with about 6 QUARTERS all because i thought i would just "toss" him in and drive away .
so if i would have just quarterd him in the first place i would have been fine, and had a normal 4 quarters,---dummy-. but i did get him loaded and in the truck. or had i just let someone help it would have been easy. but oh well, it was fun..

it's cool, DANNER- my 2 yr old daughter- tells everyone " daddy got da big ewlk"--- i really dont want to tell her it's not really the "BIG" elk. :))

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:48 am

Killer nice elk man!!! I agree with your daughter too you did shoot a big ewlk lol. No elk are small plus you did all the work on your own while you were camping with your family!!! I would consider it one of my best trophies if I were you! 10sign:
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 am

LOL...that's great Brian! Kids sure do a lot for our egos, don't they?! My youngest son thinks any deer without spots is a BIG deer so I'm a winner no matter what I bring home :-$

As for the dragging part....too funny! I did that with a whitetail buck I shot in Idaho 3 years ago. I started dragging that thing back to my rig thinking I could get him the entire 4 miles back to my truck. The further I got, the harder it got...and the more stubborn I became. I KNEW I should have AT LEAST halved him but I was bound and determined to get him out the way I started. It ONLY took me 6 hours to get it done too...LOLOL. I'll never try that crap again (Yea, I say that now. I'll get back to ya after this season is over and let you know how I did).

Again, great job an a fine lookin' bull...and a very nice drought-buster with the bow too.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:10 am

KB, Thanks for sharing that with us.....LOL! I would have paid money to see a video of that. lol :)) I don't know very many guys who killed a elk while hunting solo with their wife and kids in camp. Good Job!
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Now that was one entertaining story! Great post. Any animal killed with a bow is a trophy in my opinion, you're a flippin' Indian!!! I've never even killed a single elk and would be a happy with any sex or size.
Way to go! :thumb 10sign:
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:18 pm

That bull is a trophy. You worked your butt off to get him, you took him with a bow, and you had your family there with you. People have different ideas of what a trophy is, but for me taking a smaller "raghorn" bull and being able to share it with my close friends and family is a bigger trophy than taking a 350 class bull and having nobody to share it with. For me the memories are the trophies. Congrats on a very nice trophy. 10sign:

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:46 pm

So, I'm just a little confused here. You say your wife was 9 months pregnant, right? If it were me, I'd hooked her up to a drag with the extra weight she was carrying, throw your daughter on another drag just for the experience and guided them both to the truck. :))

Ok, no, I really wouldn't have done that, unless the wife was willing! Great story and a great bull! Hopefully, your daughter will remember this in the years to come. Just keep reminding her and let the little one to come know how they kept you from having help dragging this bull to the truck.

Again, just kidding! :))
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Hntn4em
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Hntn4em » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:18 pm

great story, great bull! Keep up the good work on the family, cause they will be there for you all the time, elk seem to vanish when you want them the most! lol