hunting elk

Talk anything related to bowhunting
mallard1
Fawn
Fawn

hunting elk

Post by mallard1 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:15 pm

I've been having pretty good success during my first year of hunting elk with my bow. Nothing on the ground yet for me (my partners have stuck some good bulls, including a nice 6x6 that was my friends first ever elk) but I've seen lots of elk and managed to call or stalk within 80 yards of three very nice bulls, including one absolute monster. My question is how do I manage to make these bulls commit to coming that last forty yards or so. I know that the best method is to have someone behind me doing the calling, but at this point, that's not really an option. What do you guys think about decoys? Any other techniques?
Last week we were not hearing many cow calls from the actual elk, so maybe the timing is just a bit off.
I cannot believe that this is my first year of hunting bugling bulls! I cannot even express how bad this bug has bit me. I had a smallish 6x6 bugling, drooling and thrashing trees 80ish yards away for about an hour. He knew something was up so he wouldnt come closer and I was caught in the open and couldn't move. I left that situation with the biggest sh#t-eating grin on my face for the whole next day. Better than drugs!

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: hunting elk

Post by sneekeepete » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:33 am

It can be really tough calling elk for yourself. I agree it works well to have someone behind you calling so the bulls come closer. I have had some sucess doing this alone though. If you have a decoy that you can put behind that is somewhat concealed then muffle your call with your hands of turn your head and call into your shoulder so it sounds further away it helps. If you don't have a decoy just try muffeling your call a little bit so it sounds further away. It is very tricky but it is possible. You may want to try that.
What kind of calls are you using by the way? I have found it easiet to use a mouth call when they get close and you are hunting alone.
Good Luck!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:16 am

If you're going to call yourself......utilize a Montana Decoy.....they work and will generally keep the attention of an approaching bull so you can draw. Place the decoy behind you a bit if possible.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:25 am

I've got a spot at the top of some ribbon cliffs where an occassional pocket of Quakies breaks through it and the elk travel up and down. They are right on top of you when they come because of the edge. Try calling in some similar terrain where they can't see you until they are in your lap. Good luck.
Mark

mallard1
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mallard1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:42 pm

Thanks for your help guys. I got back over to my area last weekend after having done a bunch of research and having taken your advice, but it seems the elk moved. I neither saw nor heard an animal for the first two days. Thinking with the moon that they might be doing their thing at night, I slept on the mountain saturday night. Still nothing. I climbed a few ridges and glassed. Nothing. Not even a deer. I don't know exactly what happened, but do know that wolves were a few miles away two weeks ago. Maybe that got them moving or forced them to shut up. Either way, I'm taking a few days off work next week to try for them again.