what broadheads?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
MontanaMonster
Fawn
Fawn

what broadheads?

Post by MontanaMonster » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:12 pm

just seeing what everybody uses to top there shafts off with.. im using muzzy mx-3's.........oh and another question..is there any pros and cons to a 2 blade head vs. a 3 or 4? :-k :-k

supersider34
Spike
Spike

Re: what broadheads?

Post by supersider34 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:26 am

I use the 100 gr Thunderheads and works good for me. Only problem I found was making sure the heads where tight and did not loosen up over the course of 3 months of hunting.I stalked a buck on my belly and came to get up on knees for the shot and saw only 1 blade. Tried to nock another and flipped first arrow away only to have it come back down on side of bow and deer where up running. So it was a small error on my part.

But other than that they are great broadheads.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:38 am

I shoot Wac'em.......great head that penetrates and fly very well.

Generally, a 2-bladed head (traditional style-cut on contact) will out penetrate a 3 or 4 bladed head. When my son first began bowhunting two years ago, he arrowed his first buck pulling 35 pounds. He had a complete pass-through......using a 2 bladed cut-on-contact style head (Magnus Stinger).
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:00 am

This year I switched to the Rage 3 blade. I have not been a fan of expandables in the past but I thought I would give these a try, they have worked perfectly. Bull in Co went 50 yards, Buck in Ks went 3, Buck in MO went 100 , and a coyote in Mo went about 5. All of these animals had huge entrance holes with massive blood trails.

Heads or Tails
2 point
2 point

Post by Heads or Tails » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:50 am

As many I was a big fan of the Wac'ems. After having some blade loosening issues I switched to the G5 Striker, IMO a litter better construction and fly very well.

I have always been a skeptic of some expandable heads...after having expansion issues. I did however try the Rage heads this year as well as some of my clients, I have never seen an expandable head or any broadhead cut like that before. I had less pin adjustment when I sighted them in than any head I have shot.

If possible try a couple that you might like and go from there!!

Good luck!!
Heads or Tails Hunting Co.

AzRednekRabbit
Spike
Spike

Post by AzRednekRabbit » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:46 pm

I shoot the Rage two blade. Was gunna go with the three blade but wanted that extra little bit of cutting diamiter. They fly great and create massive holes, leaving lots of blood. The only problem I've had with them is the blades come open when in my quiver sometimes. The problem is the little rubber ring that gets worn out from movement. All you have to do is get a pair of needlenose and turn it a little bit. Other than that they are a great broadhead IMO.
Coyote Overkill Squad

Nah, you ain't gotta be born out in the sticks
With an F150 or a .30-06
Or have a bubba in the family tree
To get on down with me!

Cvrn
3 point
3 point

Post by Cvrn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:16 pm

The Big-ol-Snuffer!
SNUFF"M

blazingsaddle
Fawn
Fawn

Post by blazingsaddle » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:14 pm

slick tricks mags (four blade) for me this past year. Can't say I have any complaints about them. They worked two for two for me this year. They fly great, have thick blades, and in my mind, well constructed. 10sign:

zrider2
Spike
Spike

Post by zrider2 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:42 pm

+1 for the slick tricks. IMHO best blade retention system possible, thick blades, great flight, and nearly indestuctible.
Athens Archery Field Staff
Athens Accomplice 34
Vortex Diamondbacks

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:40 am

I like 3 blades or more on a broadhead. The wound can't close and the animal has more chance of bleeding out on a marginal hit that way. I shot a doe yesterday with a G-5 Montech and it went through her over the top of the mesa 75 yards behind her and landed on the 4WD trail 300 feet below the mesa. I found it when I was driving over to pick her up. Plenty of penetration. Got lots of blood and her lung actually stuck out of the hole. I shot her a little low because she was above me. Did the trick.
Mark
Attachments
lung 1.JPG
lung 1.JPG (102.18 KiB) Viewed 5792 times
better blood 1.JPG
better blood 1.JPG (88.8 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
good blood 1.JPG
good blood 1.JPG (75.49 KiB) Viewed 5789 times