Wounded Ethics

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Re: Wounded Ethics

Post by Bowtech43 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback, and I would have to agree with your thinking. Now I just need to get out at longer distances and practice so those 50-60 yard shots get easier and tighter.

Thanks again,

Brandon
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:15 pm

I agree with both of you guys here. Ive had some nice groups on my 60yrd pin IMO but would hate for wind to carry or broadhead to steer anywhere else I aim. 40yrds is my comfort point right now for a kill shot. But, its what YOU feel confident with taking on certain shots... Seems that this is the point where some just sling their arrow without thinkin too much about the recovery. Still disgusts me to think there are people out there shooting at stuff and leaving it to suffer when they think "its not big enough" or "I gave up on the blood trail cause it was too far of a walk".
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:30 pm

I hunted with a recurve from 1964 to 1994 and never took a shot at big game at more than thirty yards.I've been useing compound since. Up close and personal is how I hunt. The stalk is the hunt, for me anyway. I think that all of the hunting shows,( or thirty minute commercials) have put alot of people afield lately that don,t have a clue as far as archery is concerned. I know my limitations. Just because a bow can fling an arrow a quarter mile doesn't mean the person handleing it can control it.

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:29 am

I agree with all the posts so far. If I take a shot with my compound it is at 30 yards or less. That is my max comfort range. Can I hit at longer distances? Yes. Am I comfortable with the probability of a kill shot. NO!

Respect your abilities and limitations and above all the animal.

A lot can happen in the time it takes for an arrow to travel the distance to the target. How many deer have you seen duck a bow shot at close quarters.

Try this: Have someone use a stop watch while you shoot. Start the stop watch at the release of the arrow and stop it on target impact. Now using that time see how far you can walk. How much distance were you able to move during that time?

An animal does not have to hear your shot to start moving. It could just decide to move because it wanted to.

Point being the closer the shot the fewer variables involved.

My $ .02
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:50 pm

I practice out to a 100 yards with the target bow. never practice out past 60 with the hunting bow.
my furthest shot was 35 yards and my closets shot was 5 yards. average was around 20-22 yards.

I did try a shot on a 190 class buck out to 80 yards and it jumped my string and was in the next county when my arrow smacked right where it was standing

I also had a shot on an elk at 55 yards and had the same results.

Lesson learned.

utbowhunter23
Spike
Spike

Post by utbowhunter23 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:21 pm

So it has been quite a while since I have been on here, but I come and check things out whenever I can. I couldn't agree more with those of you who stated don't give up regardless. I have helped a few friends find deer with a couple of different tricks. One of my tricks that I have had good success on is stopping and glassing. I have helped friends recover multiple animals by knowing where it was last seen and/or the direction it was headed in then I went to higher ground, planted my butt and glassed. If you use your glasses for locating the animal when it is alive why not use them when it is down or wounded? I mean you look for the same things, ears, antlers, hair etc. Plus if you find it and worst case scenario it is still alive I feel you have two options... one of them being sit and watch until the animal expires, or plan a stalk that will allow you to go in and finish the job without jumping the animal and getting the adrenaline running again. IMO of course.

If you are not willing to put in the effort that it takes to truly harvest an animal and not just shoot it, then you don't deserve to be on the mountain and hold a tag.

I would like to know what some other tricks are that have people used to make sure they harvest their animal?

Good post and best of luck and safe hunting to everyone this upcoming season.
utbowhunter
"LIVIN TO HUNT & HUNTIN TO LIVE"

MULIES4EVER
3 point
3 point

Post by MULIES4EVER » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:07 pm

I like the ethics being represented here. This needs to be heard more than you know. I have been reading Roy's posts for several years on this site as well as others and have learned a lot from him. I highly respect him and others that show such discipline to be more respectful of the animal itself. Good job guys.

bjibber
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bjibber » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 am

JLROOT wrote:I agree with all the posts so far. If I take a shot with my compound it is at 30 yards or less. That is my max comfort range. Can I hit at longer distances? Yes. Am I comfortable with the probability of a kill shot. NO!

Respect your abilities and limitations and above all the animal.

A lot can happen in the time it takes for an arrow to travel the distance to the target. How many deer have you seen duck a bow shot at close quarters.

Try this: Have someone use a stop watch while you shoot. Start the stop watch at the release of the arrow and stop it on target impact. Now using that time see how far you can walk. How much distance were you able to move during that time?

An animal does not have to hear your shot to start moving. It could just decide to move because it wanted to.

Point being the closer the shot the fewer variables involved.

My $ .02
If you use 300ft/sec as an example the math works out very nicely. You can adjust up or down from there but depending on your bow it wont change much unless you are way far from there.

At 300 ft/sec it takes an arrow the following times to hit the target.

10 yds 0.1 sec

20 yds 0.2 sec

30 yds 0.3 sec

40 yds 0.4 sec

50 yds 0.5 sec

60 yds 0.6 sec

70 yds 0.7 sec

80 yds 0.8 sec

90 yds 0.9 sec

100 yds 1 sec

The times are a fraction longer when you get out really far (80-100) because of the curved trajectory you are not really shooting 100 yards you are shooting an arc which is slightly longer than 100 yards but you get the point.

Take those times for what you will. Some may think that is not enough time to react some may think that is plenty of time for the animal to react. I think the animals state of awareness and alertness definitely should be considered when any long shots are attempted.

bjibber
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bjibber » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:25 am

[quote="utbowhunter23"]
I would like to know what some other tricks are that have people used to make sure they harvest their animal?
quote]

I have found the best thing to do when tracking a wounded animal is follow the direction that they are taking and find the nearest water. This is what has worked best for me and those I hunt with.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:13 pm

bjibber wrote: If you use 300ft/sec as an example the math works out very nicely. You can adjust up or down from there but depending on your bow it wont change much unless you are way far from there.

At 300 ft/sec it takes an arrow the following times to hit the target.

10 yds 0.1 sec

20 yds 0.2 sec

30 yds 0.3 sec

40 yds 0.4 sec

50 yds 0.5 sec

60 yds 0.6 sec

70 yds 0.7 sec

80 yds 0.8 sec

90 yds 0.9 sec

100 yds 1 sec

The times are a fraction longer when you get out really far (80-100) because of the curved trajectory you are not really shooting 100 yards you are shooting an arc which is slightly longer than 100 yards but you get the point.

Take those times for what you will. Some may think that is not enough time to react some may think that is plenty of time for the animal to react. I think the animals state of awareness and alertness definitely should be considered when any long shots are attempted.
i think there has to be some error in the formula, i have shot targets at 100 yrds, and although i didn't time it, i know for sure it takes longer than 1 second for the arrow to get there. maybe it's the arrow slowing down at greater distances, meaning if your bow is shooting 300 fps, at 80-100 yrds it is going a heck of alot slower. either way its WAY TO FAR to be shooting at a game animal.