Waterhole Hunting

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Reflex_Shooter
Fawn
Fawn

Waterhole Hunting

Post by Reflex_Shooter » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:44 pm

I hunt on waterhole a lot during the archery season in hope to see a big muley come in for a drink. I have seen 2 good bucks but both times it was either to dark or they did'nt give me the shot i was looking for. So i'am wondering if any of you hunt on water holes and what were your experiences and how big of deer did you see.
Reflex

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:02 pm

I actually haven't hunted or sat on a watering hole during the archery hunt yet. I've filmed a few bucks on watering holes though. Here is one that I filmed at a hole shortly before dark.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:54 pm

I guess it depends on what you think is a good buck. It's been my experience that big bucks will generally water at night and NOT everyday. If they make it a habit in their life to water during prime time, they'd have a tough time achieving maturity.

I've video taped several guzzlers and springs over the years and the best buck I've seen during prime time was 165" bucks. The norm seemed to be bucks between 130-155". Now that's during "prime time" hours........After setting a trail timer/camera on a spring I found in the lower country of northern Arizona, I noticed a few 180"+ deer drinking around NOON! Makes you wonder why we're all back at camp during this time. :D

BOHNTR )))-------------------->

drjeffcbp
Fawn
Fawn

Post by drjeffcbp » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:49 pm

I've hunted a waterhole the last two days in an area full of bucks and haven't had any success yet. They are either using it at night or using a different spring (there are at least two in the area).

WOuld you still try waiting at a spring, or trying to set up on a "lane" between feeding and bedding grounds?
"Lord, please let me be patient, stalk quietly, and shoot straight."

Genesis 9:3

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:05 pm

up here where im hunting this year behind bountiful I found water in most every canyon Ive walked through - Most canyons have quite a bit but some just a tad. still, just about all of em have had some sort of spring or river or large puddle somewhere in the canyon and its made the hutning a little harder (hopefully that helps some hunter comin up here who doesnt have time to scout). so i havent yet had the pleasure of finding water worth sitting at, interesting post though and good luck to you on your search for Bambi's dad (man id love a shot at him!) Great pic MM, thanks for sharing

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:28 pm

all there is in my area are little two points and spikes. rarely do i come across a four point
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:38 pm

oh yes - since im giving away my scouting report anyways, i failed to mention this one important fact that thankfully bigbuck92 just reminded me of - these hills are the same as his unit, your lucky to even see a buck - let alone a 4point.. just thought i ought to let everyone know :)

MTQUIVER
Spike
Spike

GOOD INFO

Post by MTQUIVER » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:09 am

Good info Bowhunter, I have set up a few trail cams on water to and I have NEVER got a decent buck on them during the daylight hours. My dad sat water for 13 hours a day for 3 days for elk on the Pahvant in Utah and he said MOST of the big bulls hit it between 11:00 and 2:00. GO FIGURE? I guess if you do sit water mid day might be the ticket. Its better then sleeping in camp I guess.

treetop
Spike
Spike

Post by treetop » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:26 pm

I have hunted water holes for all the years that I have bow hunted. So far the score is two 4 points, four 2 points, and an 11 pointer (spike)
Hunting water works under the right conditions.
The real trick is to find water in good deer country that is a long ways from the next spring.
I spend a lot more time each year searching for that ultimate spring than I do actually hunting. It's a good excuse to explore new country.
And as far as what time to sit. We used to think that prime time was only between sun down and dark. But the use of trail cams has shown me that in the out of the way places the deer and elk come to water at all hours of the day or night.
Here on the Pahvant they water more during the day than at night. Probably 85%-15%.
Get a good book and a pillow and stay the day. Later Treetop
Treetop