What's your unicorn?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
straightshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by straightshooter » Thu May 24, 2007 1:49 pm

2 years ago I was bowhunting bears early in the morning opening day, when I had a beautiful cinnamon bruiser about 20 yards in front of me. I could only see his head though and from the looks of it, it looked like a good one. I drew back my bow and put my pin right on his head and held there for a good minute thinking to myself that when he steps out from behind that bush, I'm gonna whack him. Well he didn't step out he freakin' ran out like a bat out of burn after he finally winded me, and I was right he was a dandy. So now I'm standing there cussing myself for not putting that muzzy right through his skull when all of a sudden my guardian angel appeared on my shoulder and said that I did the right thing by waiting for the right shot and that I would be rewarded for it later. Ok I don't really have a guardian angel, but that is the thought that ran through my head anyways. Did I do the right thing or is a head shot legit? :arrow
I hunt Utah 'cause there's no deer in California!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu May 24, 2007 4:52 pm

oh i know exactly that feeling" should i have just tried the shot??" but you made a great choice and hopefully you'll get even a bigger one next time! anyone can fling an arrow and see what happens, it takes a true hunter to hold off till the moment is right and you can make a GOOD shot! great job!

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu May 24, 2007 5:03 pm

straightshooter, I agree with Killer! Better to wait and make the shot count instead of making a hasty or ill-advised shot and end up with a wounded animal. I had to make the same decision just this last deer season (Rifle though, not archery). I just wasn't comfortable with the wind and distance so I passed it up. Although I STILL run through the scenario in my head to this day I am happy and comfortable with my decision. It's been three years since I pulled the trigger on a Mule deer though and the longer it is the more "trigger happy" I get...LOL
Thank god I've been three for three on my Idaho whitetail hunts during that period though. Kinda takes the sting out of disappointing Mulie seasons a little bit.

Show_Me_Your_Rack
2 point
2 point

Post by Show_Me_Your_Rack » Fri May 25, 2007 8:16 am

The one that has been giving the hardest time would have to be a buck jackalope all i can seem to get are the does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The situation is you aren’t going to kill a big buck unless there’s a big buck where your huntin!!!

heelerdog
Fawn
Fawn

Post by heelerdog » Tue May 29, 2007 9:24 pm

Coyote with a bow. When I bring the bow they show up in gun range. When I bring a gun they're in bow range.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Tue May 29, 2007 9:44 pm

Mine would be my first big game bow kill. Been doing it for a couple of years now, and can not seem to get it done. Maybe this year.
Deadi

bowcrazy
Spike
Spike

Post by bowcrazy » Thu May 31, 2007 8:10 pm

I would have to second BOHNTR and StickFlicker on a good Coues Deer. I have been trying for 3 years...spot and stalk..not sitting at a waterhole... and have yet to release an arrow. I sure hope it won't take a decade.
"Everyone has ability, but pride in performance makes the difference. Pride is developed from a winning tradition."-Lombardi 1964.

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:15 pm

bowcrazy you made me think about what I said in my first post. I forgot this was an "all weapons site" and I meant those two animals with a bow. I've taken almost every big game animal in Arizona without the aid of a guide or dogs, if you include bow and rifle kills. The only two I haven't taken are the two that I've never drawn after 25 years or so of trying, buffalo and bighorn. So, those two TAGS seem to be my unicorn. But with a bow, a good coues buck and bear have been on my list for quite a while!

Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:13 pm

Mine is a 300+ bull elk with a bow,i have taken elk but havnt connected with a big one,ive only been bow hunting for 3 years so I have time.My unicorn for rifle will be a 200" muley,i have killed some great bucks but a 200" muley from Montana is a unicorn in anyones book.

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:49 pm

I decided that this is the year that we all need to harvest our unicorns, so I went out and got mine. Now it's your turn!

I wish you all luck this year and hope it will be your best yet.

Now I need to get a 330+ bull elk with my bow. [-o<