HOW FAR IS TO FAR??

Talk anything related to bowhunting
catdogs
Spike
Spike

Post by catdogs » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:54 pm

Isn't the point of bow hunting to get in close???? :-k To sneak within spittin' distance, to see the snot runnin' out of their nose as the bugle rattles your ear drums, etc. Over 50 yards ain't close! Might as well shoot it with a rifle!
Guide your life!

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:15 pm

An archer sees how far away he can get and still hit his target........a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he kills his target. :arrow
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:04 pm

catdogs wrote:Isn't the point of bow hunting to get in close???? :-k To sneak within spittin' distance, to see the snot runnin' out of their nose as the bugle rattles your ear drums, etc. Over 50 yards ain't close! Might as well shoot it with a rifle!
An archer sees how far away he can get and still hit his target........a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he kills his target.
CATDOGS AND BOHNTR
exactly!! i think if someone told me they killed a 400 " bull or a 200" buck and then said they shot it at 90+ yrds i would not even for a bit think they did anything special. i can't count how many times i've been 70+ yrds to animals that would be my biggest still to date and never crossed my mind to shoot. thats not what it's all about.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR??

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:42 pm

Show_Me_Your_Rack wrote:I HAVE MY BOW SET UP WITH PINS THAT GO 20,50,60,70,80,90,100 I HAVE KILLED DEER OUT TO 73 WITH NO PROBLEM ARROW DID A COMPLETE PASS THREW AND THATS AFTER GOING THREW BOTH SHOULDERS!!!! I WAS WONDERING HOW FAR YOU GUYS WOULD SHOOT A DEER WITH A BOW AND BE CONFIDENT THAT YOU WOULD RETRIEVE IT? I WILL TO 100 BUT I THINK ANY FARTHER IS PUSHING IT!!! LETS HERE WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE TO SAY?????????
How far is too far? 100 yards in my opinion. A lot can go wrong at that distance.

How far would I shoot? A lot less than 100 yards.

Get close.

You need to experience an elk screaming in your face at 50 FEET.

You need to experience a deer so close you can smell him.

You need to experience an antelope so close to you that you can see his eyelashes.

That's what bowhunting is to me.
Hoyt

Show_Me_Your_Rack
2 point
2 point

Post by Show_Me_Your_Rack » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:17 pm

mark jones i also think thats what it is about!!! I have experienced all of those except for the eyelashes!!! i have had a deer come up and nudged me with its head while i was sitting a groung blind!!! the areas that i hunt are really open and sometimes you cant get within 100 yards and if your luck you can get within 80 so thats the case down here in the desert!!!

Image this is my 130 yard group and that is pushing it big time i know but with these day bows i bet it wont be long untill people will be killing animals at 150 yards!!!!
The situation is you aren’t going to kill a big buck unless there’s a big buck where your huntin!!!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:19 pm

IF THAT TARGET WAS A DEER BROADSIDE AND FACEING LEFT YOU HAVE A COUPLE ARROWS RIGHT CLOSE TO GUTS, WITH A VERY TINY WIND THOSE ARE ALL WOUNDED BUCKS, AND JUDGING BY YOU PICS AND SHEDS UNFORTUNATLY THEY ARE ALL PRETTY BIG ONES. I PERSONNALY DONT THINK THEIR IS A PERSON ALIVE WHO CAN HONESTLY SAY THEY COULD PUT A KILL SHOT ON ANY ANIMAL 90% OF THE TIME TAKING A SHOT LIKE THAT. JUST MY OPINION. oohps sorry for yelling, didn't see my cap locks ](*,)

Show_Me_Your_Rack
2 point
2 point

Post by Show_Me_Your_Rack » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:25 pm

Yeah i agree i am not planning on shooting at a animal past 80 i just think it is good to practice farther so that you can learn your bow and shoot better if that makes any sence????
The situation is you aren’t going to kill a big buck unless there’s a big buck where your huntin!!!

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:29 pm

I practice out to 80 yards all the time, as it helps my shooting skills at shorter distances.....however, out of all the deer I've arrowed over the years, I can't remember one over 53 yards...and that was in perfect conditions. Most have been arrowed between 20-40 yards.....
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Show_Me_Your_Rack wrote:mark jones i also think thats what it is about!!! I have experienced all of those except for the eyelashes!!! i have had a deer come up and nudged me with its head while i was sitting a groung blind!!! the areas that i hunt are really open and sometimes you cant get within 100 yards and if your luck you can get within 80 so thats the case down here in the desert!!!

Image this is my 130 yard group and that is pushing it big time i know but with these day bows i bet it wont be long untill people will be killing animals at 150 yards!!!!
Ummm, yeah, I hunt the desert too. It's not that hard to get close. Work on your skills. And you have to make the decision not to shoot at animals that are too far. It may mean not getting the shot, but there are just too many variables at longer yardages.

Yes, todays bows shoot faster, flatter and more accurately at longer yardages, but I doubt you will ever see the vast majority of bow hunters shooting much past 50 or 60 yards. Too much can go wrong.

If you're comfy with shooting at a possible moving target from 100+ yards, have at it. It's your choice. But if I couldn't consistently get closer to an animal than the yardages you're talking about, I would just shoot a gun.

One more thing...

If I look at the trajectory of an arrow shot 390 feet away from a target, the arrows won't be sticking straight in to the target. They are not going to shoot flat at 130 yards. An arrow trajectory isn't flat from 130 yards.
Hoyt

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:48 pm

One more thing...

If I look at the trajectory of an arrow shot 390 feet away from a target, the arrows won't be sticking straight in to the target. They are not going to shoot flat at 130 yards. An arrow trajectory isn't flat from 130 yards.
good point , didn't think of that. i would pretty much garrentee that those were not shot from 130 yds away :)) :)) [/quote]