HOW FAR IS TO FAR??

Talk anything related to bowhunting
MTQUIVER
Spike
Spike

Post by MTQUIVER » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:31 am

My personal limit is set at 80 yards in the right conditions. I know a lot of the old school guys will say that is to far but let me tell you something; the same things that can go wrong at 80 yards can go wrong at 20 yards. For example I thought one of the better arguements on this post said that a deer can have more time to react at long range and I agree with that... HOWEVER last year I had a buck at 29 yards and he ducked a fast shooting bowstring on video. After playing it back his back must have dropped 10-12 inches and with it being a downhill shot I missed the top of his back by about an inch. You hear my bowstring go off and the deer hasn't moved and then by the time the arrow arrives he has dropped nearly a foot. On the same hunt I shot a buck at 72 yards on video that was relaxed and feeding. I don't think he heard my bow at all and he never flinched until the arrow entered right behind his front shoulder. The deer was dead within minutes and only ran about 75 yards. I agree that any good bowhunter should strive to get as close as possible but I also believe if the right opportunity presents itself and you have been dedicated to practicing your shooting at longer ranges you are a fool not to take the opportunity. Especially in the west on mule deer because good opportunities don't come around very often especially hunting high country on public land. Just my $.02

P.S. The only mule deer I have ever hit and not recovered was at 22 yards.

creamernator
Fawn
Fawn

Post by creamernator » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 pm

"the same things that can go wrong at 80 yards can go wrong at 20 yards"

That is a very accurate statement, but you also have to figure in that any mistake or error in your shot that is minor and maybe even meaningless at 20 yards is monumental at 80. A lung/liver hit turns into a paunch hit. A paunch hit turns into hind quarters. Distance, especially extreme distance, compounds mistakes. It's bad enough on targets, but throw in the adrenaline rush of a hunt, and it makes a tough shot even tougher.
Aim small, miss small