Bow hunting the Book Cliffs?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Bow hunting the Book Cliffs?

Post by Tyewire » Sat May 08, 2010 8:02 am

Hi Guys, I like many other newbies to this site am looking to gain some knowledge about a long distant hunting area. My father and I drew the Book Cliffs for deer this year. We are experienced bow hunters but have rarely pursued Mulleys.

We are from Oregon and have 2 weeks to dedicate to this hunt. Where. What I am hoping to gain from your knowledge is a good place to start. We love to hunt hard and are not apposed to packing in for a few days if that is what it takes.
Next is when. I have 2 weeks and a day to work with. Should we show up a few days early and scout or start when the season has already started to maximize our opportunity? Or even come the last two weeks of the season.

Our trophy goal are to have a great time together as always and enjoy what God has created. We are treating this like a once in a lifetime hunt. Sure we would love to kill a 180 class deer but a couple respectable 4 points and the memories will do us just fine.

I hope to return the favor and Thank you in advance for any help! =D> updated
Last edited by Tyewire on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

ddtruth2
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Bow hunting the Book Cliffs?

Post by ddtruth2 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:04 pm

congrats. how many points did it take you to draw. I have been putting in for the bookcliffs as well. I have not hunted there but it seems like it would be a good archery hunt.

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 am

Thanks, This was our 8th year so 7 points.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon May 10, 2010 9:22 am

I have not hunted the Book Cliffs, so can't help much on where to go. But this should be a blast and a fun hunt for you guys. Deer numbers a VERY high there and you should see lots of bucks and have opportunity at some respectable bucks for sure. Best of luck to you guys, hopefully someone can chime in that knows the area.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Mon May 10, 2010 12:44 pm

don't worry about seeing bucks at the book Cliffs your trouble will be not shooting the first one you see.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Mon May 10, 2010 7:10 pm

That is going to be a big change to a couple Oregon hunters. We are hard core elk hunters and deer are usually pretty secondary for us. I put some time into our late deer hunt for black-tail. We have been playing the points game for years and looking forward to something new and here it is! :)
I have always dreamed of hunting a mule deer with my bow. I hunted a mule deer one time with a rifle in the Snake River unit about 15 years ago and shot a small 4 point. I passed him 3 times and finally figured out he was a good as it gets.

I have been studying maps and reading all I can of the older post on the site to gain some knowledge. We have one Utah connection with a guy that lives there that has hunted with us in Idaho for elk. He is going to try and help out.

Thanks for responding, you ever want to hunt elk in Oregon or a black-tailed deer I would be willing to tell you all I know :))

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon May 10, 2010 7:41 pm

You shouldn't have any problem finding bucks......finding a real 180" buck is going to be tough, IMO. There just isn't a lot of them.....beyond popular belief (there are a few exceptions). If you're happy with a 20-24" wide / 135-160" net type buck, you'll have a good time hunting and seeing that caliber of buck. The Book Cliffs is a great opportunity type archery hunt with a lot of deer......but it's not a true trophy unit anymore, IMO.

Congrats on the tag.......I've put in for it and scouted it as well.......a fun type hunt for bowhunters. Just set realistic goals.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Mon May 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks BOHNTR, All I really expect is a good time. A animal is a bonus for me. I really want to get my dad on film taking a buck. And if there is as many deer as everyone says it should be a blast :thumb .
Do you think it would be a good idea to come a few day before the season starts? I have two weeks to spend on this hunt. Or maybe come the last two weeks of the season?

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon May 10, 2010 9:31 pm

If (when) I get drawn....I'm heading up a few days before to check on deer just prior to the hunt......then hunt as long as I can stay (usually about 10 days). Opening weekend will have some folks.....mostly road hunting from what I've heard......then it thins out mid-week.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Tue May 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Anyone else have any past experience in this unit? please chime in... Places to camp? Ext.