Archery season elk calling

Talk anything related to bowhunting
highcountryarchery
Spike
Spike

Archery season elk calling

Post by highcountryarchery » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:10 pm

I read an article the other day about elk calling during the archery hunt in late august early september and I was wondering what everyones opinions are on calling that early in the year do you much back or is it pretty quiet

capt.nw
Spike
Spike

Re: Archery season elk calling

Post by capt.nw » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:24 pm

It all depends on where your at if you read the post on wolves guys are saying that elk don't talk because of the wolf. Which is true. I have hunted an aera that did not have wolfs in it and found the elk to be talking right at first light for about 30mins. Then they shut up. Then they seem to start talking again right at night fall. The best way I found to hunt the elk in my area aug-sept. Is get up above the dark timber in the dark and wait. Then if I hear one or two, try and Get them pin pointed and let them work into the dark timber. Then sneak in on them then when I am with in a 100 yards bugle at the bull and 70% of the time the bull will get mad and come check me out. Now If I can ever stop my hand from shacking I would have a lot more red arrows.
Same Monkey Different Tail....

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:55 pm

my 2 cents- there is no "general rule of thumb" for calling elk, i crack up when i read the "how to call elk" in magazines.

every area is different, i call elk in my general oregon elk 100% different then i called elk in are new mexico elk ranches. take another turn and thats how i call to rosevelts.

the only advise you need is to learn the elk you plan on hunting. listen to how the bull is responding, and call accordingly. and alot of times that means you should quit calling-period!

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:07 pm

+1 killer :thumb

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:50 pm

As a rule of thumb for me, if they are bugleing, I will call. If they aren't, I shut up. That's what I just recently read. If you call, and they aren't, they'll blow out of town.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!