Lost animals.

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Lost animals.

Post by Bigd7400 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 am

Just experienced a bow hunters worst nightmare, a lost animal. I was hunting in the rain when a decent whitetail buck slipped into range at about 20yds. I drew down with confidence and let fly, heard the reassuring whack and watched the buck take a few hops then stop. I thought for sure he was going down when he walked over to a thicket and stopped. As he disappeared into the thick brush I settled in and gave him about 30 minutes but much to my dismay the light rain that had been going all morning opened into a full fledge downpour. I recovered my blood soaked arrow but failed to find any sign of a blood trail. I seached the last place I saw him with no sign and then began walking circles and still nothing. Its heart wrenching to know that you put a good shot on an animal and did not recover him. I guess its part of what makes archery hunting the thing we love and the challenge that can either take you to the highest high or the lowest low.
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

killerbee

Re: Lost animals.

Post by killerbee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:41 am

if you put a good shot on him remember, that buck is still dead. even without blood to follow, there is a great chance he is within 200yrds. use a grid pattern for a long and hard search. i shot a bull elk this year, i hit 1 lung and his liver. 27 hrs after the shot i was able to put a second arrow in him, and that was with a HUGE help from 2 buddies tracking with me.

good luck and dont give up on your search

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:47 am

I shot a doe this year with my bow had a pass through but ended up only hitting one lung do to quartering angle. I had good blood but ended up having to leave the trail and continue the search in the morning. The next morning I began where I had left off at about 100 yard from shot and soon found where she had bedded and bled a lot! She wasn't there though and there was no blood trail where she left. So I did a pattern search and found her 20 yards away in some thicker cover dead as a door nail. So I agree with Killer. If you made a good shot he is dead and close by.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:42 am

Thank you guys for the confidence booster. I couldn't go out this morning to look again but I am definitely going as soon as I get off from work this afternoon. I know hes there somewhere and I'm gonna do my best to find him. I will keep you posted.

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Good luck. I know the feeling, that empty gut wrenching gut ace!
I lost a great bull elk this year, first animal I have lost in 20+ years. After 3 weeks and 5 trips into the back country we found a bull with his head cut off. Hope this dose not happen to you and you’re able to have closure!
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:45 pm

I've been there........
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:30 pm

SWEET SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!! Went back out this afternoon and guess what....I FOUND HIM! I walked lines back and forth through briar thickets about every 3ft for about 100yds and lo and behold I found him. The shot was good but he was definitely a fighter as he made it about 65-70yds from where I shot him and then bedded down. His hind quarter was a little chewwed up but for the most part he was all there! Heres a pic. sorry that its not the prettiest and my truck bed is a little cluttered but I was all by my lonesome so I waited to get to my dads so he could take the pic.
Attachments
my buck 2.JPG
my buck 2.JPG (26.94 KiB) Viewed 7878 times

ldjbuff
Spike
Spike

Post by ldjbuff » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Awesome news!!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Good job, great news.

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Awesome job! I lost one this year and after two trips and 3 hours of searching I never could find him. It's a horrible feeling. Good on you for making that effort!
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)