CO mule deer info

Talk anything related to bowhunting
MTDREN
Fawn
Fawn

CO mule deer info

Post by MTDREN » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:03 pm

I am looking into doing a backpack archery hunt for mule deer in CO. I am currently researching areas to apply for. I would like an above timberline hunt for the first part of the season. I have 0 preference points. I am Currenlty looking at areas 65, 70, and 74. Just looking for any info that anyone can share on areas that would be good to apply for. Thanks for any help!

BOHNTR

Re: CO mule deer info

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:32 pm

GMU 70 you can draw without an PP's. There is some above timberline country that hold deer on the far Eastern portion of the unit near the divide. Some good bucks in other areas as well, but they aren't above timberline type country.

GMU 74 will take at least one PP to ensure a draw for a non-resident. There is some above timberline county in that unit, but by far the best mule deer come from the "lower" portions of the unit in La Plata County.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

ABert

Post by ABert » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:20 pm

I don't know of much in 65 above timberline that would be worth hunting. The unit had a bad winter a couple years ago and still hasn't recovered. Down low on private land there are plenty of big bucks, not so much on public.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

MTDREN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MTDREN » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 pm

Any other areas I should take a look with 0 points needed

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:47 am

Go to the CDOW website and look at their stats. It will show how many points it takes to draw all the units. It will also show the units that take zero to draw and/or don't fill. Most of these units are not very good........but some are. You'll have to pick one and put some boot leather on the ground.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

CK1
Fawn
Fawn

Post by CK1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Not a lot of bucks above timberline in 70. Most of the big bucks are on private.

Turokman123
2 point
2 point

Post by Turokman123 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:32 am

I would take GMU 70 because you can draw without any preferance points.
2010 Strother SR-71 390 grain arrow @ ~60# >-------> 298 FPS with 74.6 KE. Slick Trick Army.
"Is it elk season yet?"

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:02 am

I live in 74, and the above timberline area is literally a couple of miles up the road from my house in La Plata canyon. It is public ground, and rugged in some areas. There are bucks there if you are willing to work for them. My buddy drew that tag for archery last year. He got close, but the big boy put the slip on him. As stated, as a NR, you will need a point or two.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:14 pm

I was traveling through the western part of unit 70 last september and there were some big fires burning from the looks of the smoke. It looked like the northwestern corner of the unit (I was in Paradox,Co.). They have been cutting out brush for fuel reduction and may have had a control burn. If so it should open up some good spots for this year and about 3 to 4 years thereafter. It's 8500 feet and ponderosas. There are some big mulies in the ponderosas but they are hard to see. Call the CO to check it out.
Mark

MTDREN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MTDREN » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks for all the information, this will help.