Rage or Muzzy's

Talk anything related to bowhunting
hardstalk
Spike
Spike

Re: Rage or Muzzy's

Post by hardstalk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Phil and mularcher ill shoot you both a p.m with my number so we can get together hopefully this week if the rains dont roll in. I head out next week for the "burn week" 3 tags to fill in 10 days. And yes newton is my neighbor. Wish i had that size lot to shoot in!

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:43 pm

Sound good, I work back behind Silver State Archery which apparently is closed now?
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:36 am

Mularcher wrote:Sound good, I work back behind Silver State Archery which apparently is closed now?
I had nothing but bad dealings with that shop. Three trips and three incidences. After speaking with other guys in the valley, I wasn't the only one.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

hardstalk
Spike
Spike

Post by hardstalk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:27 am

Use to go there it was close to me. And was nice to shoot in the a/c boomer owned the shop and now works for pse in arizona. Had some good stories about the shop and some not so good. Now i use hoss at d.o.s hes a small shop but spends the time to make sure your happy.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:06 pm

hardstalk wrote:Use to go there it was close to me. And was nice to shoot in the a/c boomer owned the shop and now works for pse in arizona. Had some good stories about the shop and some not so good. Now i use hoss at d.o.s hes a small shop but spends the time to make sure your happy.
Where is his shop at?
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Yeah same issues here, I used to stop in on my lunch hour just to talk hunting. Pacific Archery is a long drive from this side.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

hardstalk
Spike
Spike

Post by hardstalk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:29 pm

D.o.s is out there! Its off 95 and the 215 beltway left on jones he is a union electrician who runs the shop on his free time he sells alot of bowtech. And consignment stuff. Guy at work turned me onto him. If you head over there tell him andrew sent you. I have some vortex spotters on display there. Its actually called desert outdoor sports. He also has a hooter shooter which will answer any doubts you have on your equipment.

Turokman123
2 point
2 point

Post by Turokman123 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 pm

I like the Rage, they tune way better
2010 Strother SR-71 390 grain arrow @ ~60# >-------> 298 FPS with 74.6 KE. Slick Trick Army.
"Is it elk season yet?"

sagehunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sagehunter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:10 pm

I killed a bull last year with a rage two blade broadhead. It worked pretty good but only penetrated about half an arrows dept. I was hesitant to use them again this year but did because of convenience which was a bad idea. I shot a huge six point bull 2 days ago at 20 yards right behind the shoulder and got about 4 inches of penetration. I tracked the bull for most of the following day and couldnt find him. I found the arrow and confirmed the weak penetration. I feel terrible for most likely fatally wounding such a majestic animal and not finding him. I now hate rage broadheads and will absolutely never use them again. Tomorrow I am going to buy new arrows and broadheads that are harder hitting.

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:28 pm

I have killed probably 20 or more animals with the Rage, including a bull elk many near elk sized animals (Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Waterbuck etc.). They have performed perfectly in largely every case. I did have a penetration issue on one of the smallest animals, a javelina, but it may have gone through the animal and hit a rock that it was standing next to, causing the arrow to appear to "bounce off" the animal. The shot was a little high, so not enough evidence to blame the broadhead, but I do not think it was likely at fault. I do on occasion used fixed blade heads, every tool has times when it is the best tool for the job, but I mostly use Rage these days. Here's a photo of an entry wound from about two weeks ago. The shot went perfectly through the heart (slightly quartering away shot). Hard to argue with a good flying arrow that makes holes like that!
Attachments
Rage sm 1a.jpg
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book