Alright archer's.. neeed lots of advice!

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Alright archer's.. neeed lots of advice!

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Its been decided i am going to a compound bow, and putting up the long bow. I have ZERO experience with compounds.
what do you all shoot? Poundage? Letoff? Sights? Release? Spines? Fletching? Weight? Broadheads? Im in Idaho so they have to be fixed, no mechanical. Cams? Hand shock? Length of bow? Arrow rests? Nocks?
basically head to toe, what do you use and why?
my draw lenght is around 28, poundage up to 60 with an 80% let off.
My shoulder just can't take the long bow anymore. I ned to get set up as quickly as possible. Hoping to hunt in September.

jayb22
Spike
Spike

Re: Alright archer's.. neeed lots of advice!

Post by jayb22 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm shooting a 2010 Strother SR-71 at 65# and 27.5" DL. I was shooting 460gr piledriver arrows with 100gr slick trick standard broadheads. The bow has a little stiff draw to it but is rated at 353 fps so for a speed bow it isn't bad. It's a very "dead in the hand" bow at the shot with basically no vibration or kick. It is also very quiet. I'm actualy selling it once my new K&K Vengeance arrives. It is designed by the same guy that designed the early bowtech, elite and Strother bows. The bow will be very similar as mine to shoot but has a fair bit smoother draw, extra inch of brace right to help with forgiveness and I'm only sacrificing 6-7 fps with it. With the faster bows I'm now using gold tip velocity hunter 300 arrows with a 20gr brass insert in te end to help with FOC for penetration. If you have any questions just ask.

Jackson10
Spike
Spike

Post by Jackson10 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:15 pm

what do you all shoot? Poundage? Letoff? Sights? Release? Spines? Fletching? Weight? Broadheads? Im in Idaho so they have to be fixed, no mechanical. Cams? Hand shock? Length of bow? Arrow rests? Nocks?

I shoot the 2010 hoyt alpha max. 70 lbs, 80% let off, flash point hd's 7 pins, trueball, easton epics with zebra wrap 340s-but im thinking aboutto going up to 400s, wac ems! No hand shock what so ever such a smoot bow to shoot. 32" bow and a drop away rest!

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks guys! Keep um coming! I have much to learn!

'Ike'
3 point
3 point

Post by 'Ike' » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Shooting for 20+ years now...Current bows are in 'signature'! 60# at 28" and a 415Gr arrow...CarbonTech 65/80's Blazer/Fusion vanes and 100gr G5's!

My advise is to go to a 'good' shop, one that has a selection of bows and shoot as many as you can. As with your recurve, you'll know it when you feel it! A lot of good/great bows out there and you'll find the one for you...I'm not a speed freak and like the heavier arrow, but I still shoot through everything from Muleys to Elk. Have fun!!! :thumb
2010 & 2011 Destroyer 340 - HardWoods HD
BlackGold Sights, RipCord Rest, CarbonTech Shafts, G5 and BuckNasty Strings

jayb22
Spike
Spike

Post by jayb22 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:37 pm

I forgot a few things in your original post. I'm using a axcel armortech sight with .19 pins and love it. It's fully micro adjustable which adds some weight to it but the fiber optics are fully enclosed so they cant get squished or caught on branches. It is a pricey sight but I think it's worth it. I just got the new vapor trail limbdriver pro-v and so far really like it. It's very easy to set up. I had issues with my NAP apache rest not falling fast enough but the pro-v has no issues. It does have a little noise to it from the rest hitting a stop pin when it goes down but I've heard putting a little shrink wrap on it fixes that.

I agree with going to local shops and testing out the bows. Make sure they are all set at the same weight and draw length as that can always effect how the bows feel. There are so many great bows out there make sure you don't fall in love with the first one you shoot and just buy it.

What price range are you looking at?

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm feeling a little out classed here :not-worthy I'm shooting an ancient Hoyt Raptor Hybird cam set at 60# with 27" draw. Arrows are Beeman ICS 340s with 100 grain Muzzy 4 blade broad heads. Getting maybe 240 fps out of this combo. Truglo Micro-Brite 3 pin site Octane Hostage rest and a T.R.U. Ball release. Slow but deadly accurate. I opted for the 4 blade broadhead after years of using a 3 blade and found it to plane a little less in the wind and it punches big holes at anything in its way. This bow is almost recoil free which is surprising since its not the newer parallel limb design that most have, just an old split limb with limb savers installed. Good luck on finding something to fit your needs.
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:19 pm

And the let of % is 65% or 70%, not terrible but not as good as the newer bows.
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:33 pm

I took the advice and went to a local shop and shot four bows today. I like two of them.. the Bowtch Heartbreaker and the Matthews Craze. I liked the matthews the best. I found out that hand shock is very important to me along with brace height. Which equals a smoother pull. My draw length is about 26.5" @ 45-50#. I have a shoulder injury so it limits my draw weight. Had a blast and can't wait to hit Cabelas in a couple weeks! Once i get the bow figured out, i'll start figuring out sights, releases, ect.. :)
keep um coming!

dubvee
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dubvee » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:36 am

Go to Twin Falls ID and advantage archery on main street. A guy named Caleb owns this shop and he will help you out with everything. He has a range and you can shoot alot of bows. He know what he is talking about too. Good luck.

I shoot a Hoyt Trykon (about 4 years old) 66lbs. 28.5" draw. Drop away rest, Gold Tip Arrows, the best flying fixed broadheads are Slick trick or Terminals. 100 grain. Fuse Accesories are the best for sights/stabilizer. Do not know your price range but I would try the new Quest Bows.