2011 Coues Buck (pics)

Talk anything related to bowhunting
'Ike'
3 point
3 point

Re: 2011 Coues Buck (pics)

Post by 'Ike' » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 pm

BOHNTR wrote:Will do Ike......when you leave for AZ elk?
I'm thinking the 12th, get the opening day crowds out of the way.... :-k
2010 & 2011 Destroyer 340 - HardWoods HD
BlackGold Sights, RipCord Rest, CarbonTech Shafts, G5 and BuckNasty Strings

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:55 am

Like Brett, I find it unfortunate there wont be a CO backcountry archery report this year, but that's awesome you set your sights on something new and made it happen your first season! I'm sure you'll be back again soon, I'd sure love to chase some Coues deer some day. Great report.

Country Nate
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Country Nate » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Congratulations. I was at a sportsmans show a couple of years back and Chuck Adams was there. He said those little rascals were the toughest thing he has ever hunted. You make it look easy.

2 stalks in 4 days, it sounds like you pick your stalks very carefully. Smart, instead of ramblin around wasting energy. I need to take notes for my next hunt.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:53 am

Congrats Roy on getting your first coues. Hopefully those little buggars got into your blood. They are sure fun to hunt.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Congratulations Roy! I finally put an arrow through my best Coues two years ago and I was pretty excited!
Crazy they take so long do grow velvet down there.
It isn't really that they take so long to grow, it's that they start so much later than elk and mule deer. I commonly see Coues bucks still wearing their antlers in late May. Since they shed so late, they start growing later and shed velvet later. Their rut is also later, usually peaking in the first or second weekend in January in most of their territory.

Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

norcalhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by norcalhunter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:30 pm

I have a question for you BOHNTR. If I buy a archery tag this January will it be good for January and the early and late archery seasons for the whole year? Can I still get a point for 2012 if I do this?

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:01 pm

I have a question for you BOHNTR. If I buy a archery tag this January will it be good for January and the early and late archery seasons for the whole year? Can I still get a point for 2012 if I do this?
Yes to both questions. Arizona archery only deer tags are good for the calendar year. So, you can hunt open units in January, if not successful you can hunt open units in Aug/Sep, if not successful in the Fall, then those units open the last two weeks of December you can hunt.

You can only kill one deer per year in Arizona, so if you kill a deer in January, you may not enter the drawing for an additional deer tag for the Fall season. You can, however, apply for a deer bonus point only.

Lastly, let's say you buy an AO tag in January and are NOT successful. You can enter the drawing and conceivably draw a coveted tag and go on that hunt. However, if you kill a deer with your drawn tag, your archery only tag is no longer good, as your one allotted deer has been taken for the calendar year.

Hope that makes sense.......
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

norcalhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by norcalhunter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:46 am

Thanks for the info. I was worried about losing a year of points if I went down there in January.

Bow-man33
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Bow-man33 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Congats!! Awesome story!

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:59 pm

looks good to me...