Carry a sidearm while archery elk hunting?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
meelosh
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Carry a sidearm while archery elk hunting?

Post by meelosh » Fri May 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'm going to carry my sidearm, its just a little more versatile. With any luck, I'll never have to use it. Wish me and family luck on our first elk hunt.

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Fri May 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Good luck. lol
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

sagehunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sagehunter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:15 pm

I think its kind of silly to carry a pistol. Statistically you will never have a problem. However I live and hunt in colorado where we dont have grizzleys and wolves.

Rockymtnarcher
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Rockymtnarcher » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:38 am

I'm sorry, I know I'm a little late on this posting but I cant help not post a response to this. I was elk hunting in Wyoming in 2009 with my brother when the two of us walked up on a Grizzly sow and her two cubs in their bed eating four bags of hay cubes they had just stole off of a pack train of mules heading to an outfitting camp. Fortunately for us they had a good escape route and chose to take it rather than making us their entree. I always carry a sidearm with me and had one when that went down. That was the closest I've come to using it in the woods but i'll never leave camp without it.
It is true that the physiology of your body undergoes some major changes during an extremely stressful scenario but this is a survival mechanism built into us that allows us to do some pretty amazing things. I would be happy to go more in depth with this if anyone is interested but for now i'll leave it at that.
A 45 ACP is more than capable of bringing down a bear as are most other underestimated cartridges. The flip side to that is the users level of knowledge and training with that sidearm. You've got to get out and train with it. Again if anyone is interested I would be happy to share some good drills to help condition this type of response. Give yourself a fighting chance and carry that sidearm, don't allow yourself to get attacked without putting up a fight.
I hope you had a great, safe hunt and got an elk.