Carry a sidearm while archery elk hunting?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
meelosh
Fawn
Fawn

Carry a sidearm while archery elk hunting?

Post by meelosh » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Hello guys. I'm new to the site and new to elk hunting. Got drawn for a WY general tag for this fall (first try :thumb ) and we are thinking unit 37. As far as I know, there is no wolves and no grizzlies so I am wondering if I should bother carrying my 1911 with. Its 38oz unloaded, a lot of weight to carry around for no reason so my question is, should I just bring the bear spray and be done with it or should I pack heat just in case? Thanks for the help folks. I'm hoping to make a valuable contribution to this site over time.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Re: Carry a sidearm while archery elk hunting?

Post by PhillyB » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:04 pm

I always carry a gun no matter the situation. Granted, it is a little 380, but still always packing the heat.

Some have hunted 25 years and never come across a situation where they needed one. Personally, I have never needed one either.

But I would hate to have that one situation where I could have used it and not have it.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

skysthelimit
Spike
Spike

Post by skysthelimit » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:59 am

This is an interesting question and there was an article I read the other day that talks about this. I am not saying you should or shouldnt pack a sidearm because I have packed one in the past.

The article makes a good point......if something were to happen and you had seconds to pull out your gun and shoot how accurate would you be? That would be an incredibly intense moment when it happened and to be honest I dont know how many of us would be accurate and be able to make that shot when it counts. I would probably trust myself more with bear spray not to mention the weight difference.

I have posted the article to read....

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1012&sid=19497732

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:28 am

Something you need to look into is whether or not it is legal to carry a side arm while archery hunting. I know of a couple of states that you can't, but in states that allow it I wouldn't carry anything less than a .41 mag. A .45 ACP will only piss off a grizzly more than it already was.

JMHO.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:56 pm

I do carry a XD .45. Better have it and not need it than need it and not have it. ](*,)
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:10 pm

I have always carried a pistol just in case and had never had the occasion to use it until two years ago. A bear made a run at my son who was shed hunting with me. I unloaded my pistol into a tree by me, not even aiming at the bear and he did break off and high tail it out of the area. Maybe because of the pistol or maybe not but I am a believer.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 pm

Tonoonyi wrote:I have always carried a pistol just in case and had never had the occasion to use it until two years ago. A bear made a run at my son who was shed hunting with me. I unloaded my pistol into a tree by me, not even aiming at the bear and he did break off and high tail it out of the area. Maybe because of the pistol or maybe not but I am a believer.
I have no problem carrying when out and about but during archery or muzzle loader seasons, one needs to check the regs to make sure it is legal first.

And I'm glad you and your son are fine after the bear rushing you. One of the best reasons to carry when out and about.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:47 pm

ABert wrote:Something you need to look into is whether or not it is legal to carry a side arm while archery hunting. I know of a couple of states that you can't, but in states that allow it I wouldn't carry anything less than a .41 mag. A .45 ACP will only piss off a grizzly more than it already was.

JMHO.
Great point. I have a CCW for the states I hunt: Utah and Nevada. For both states you are only allowed to carry a firearm if you have the weapons permit. Otherwise it is illegal.

That being said, if I was deep in the backcountry,CCW or not, I would still bring something along. But again, that is my opinion. It may not be the same among others here in the board.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

mmwb
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mmwb » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:08 pm

I carry a sidearm when bow hunting. There are a number of bow hunters in this area (Western Wyoming) that have problems with lions coming in when cow calling. They have all successfully deterred lions by intimidation with noise and motion, but I could have my sidearm at the ready in a couple of seconds if that did not work. I also figure the most dangerous predator is of the two legged variety. Better prepared and never need a firearm than otherwise.

Tenner
Spike
Spike

Post by Tenner » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Bear Spray for me. Why be a statistic. Research it, the number dont lie. Bear Spray will give you a better chance of staying alive, whether its a bear, wolf, or lion. It will stop any one of those critters.