Bowhunting gear

Talk anything related to bowhunting
bigtime9
Fawn
Fawn

Bowhunting gear

Post by bigtime9 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Ok so I decided to get back into bowhunting after being out of it for nearly 15 years needless to say alot has changed. I bought a Mathews Drenalin a couple weeks ago and plan on putting a new 28" cam and strings on it. It is decked out with accessories. So heres my question how do you decide on what equipment to go with it. There are so many arrows, releases, and broadheads out there I don't know where to start. I always shot fingers and alluminum arrows and fixed heads in the past but everything I know is way outdated. Seems like every article I read has an agenda towards something different. Same goes with the local proshops they all want to sell me top of the line equip aka most expensive they have. I am on a pretty tight budget so I don't want to waste money on junk but I cant spend a ton either. Any suggestions.

'Ike'
3 point
3 point

Re: Bowhunting gear

Post by 'Ike' » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Internet is a wonderful thing, as if you can find it there's usually a review to go with it...I can tell you what I like and so can the next guy. EBay, ArcheryTalk Classifieds and the Classifieds on here are great places to find deals...

It comes down to personal choice plus trial and error...Bullet proof rest are RipCord and TrophyTaker, Broadheads, take your pick they all work if you do your job...Shafts/Arrows, ones that have been around awhile are usually the ones that will work, thing is to match your set-up to them... Sights, again take your pick a lot of great ones out there...I like Montana Black Gold, bright, rugged and excellent customer service. Have fun!!!
2010 & 2011 Destroyer 340 - HardWoods HD
BlackGold Sights, RipCord Rest, CarbonTech Shafts, G5 and BuckNasty Strings

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:14 pm

First off, Welcome back!

Wow, your questions are tough to answer. Because like the pro shops, everyone has a different opinion on what archery products are the best to go with. The Mathews Drenalin is a great bow. You say it is decked out with accessories, how so? I would still go to a good pro shop in your area and see if they will let you try a few different products you are interested in.

As far as arrows, I would strongly suggest a carbon arrow of your liking over aluminum. I have used Easton, Gold Tip, Beaman, Carbon Express, and they all were good to me. You don't have to shoot the top of the line.

Releases I would try as many as you can at your pro shop and see what feels good to you. I shoot a Scott caliper style and love it.
I still know people who shoot fingers with the modern compound bows just fine also.

Broad-heads you will get a hundred answers from a hundred people. In my home state mechanical heads are illegal so fixed is it. I shoot the G5 Striker but there are lots of good heads out there. You just have to see what works best with your setup.

I don't know what your budget is but if you can find any of this stuff for a deal let me know. lol You can find better deals on line for sure over your pro shop. All though it is nice to give your local shop some buisness as well.

Good luck, and again welcome back! :thumb

When you get a better idea of what you like and more specific questions on stuff, there are alot of folks on here that will
be glade to chime in.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TahoeRy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:43 am

Start checking out camofire.com. Typically once a week they put up some good arrows for about half off. A couple days ago they were selling a dozen Easton ST Epic N-Fused for about $65. I see alot of beman arrows on their as well. Like the other guys said, there are so many options out there that alot of it is just personal preference. See if you can get your hands on some of the equipment so that you can see what fits your hands and set-ups better. eBay is a great spot to pick stuff up as well as amazon.com. Amazon has some great archery deals on stuff as well. I can understand working within a budget so check out everywhere you can and save as much on each item as you can, it will all add up. Happy shooting

bigtime9
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bigtime9 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks for the replies I am just having a hard time deciding what to get to much to choose from and not enough money for everything I want to try. I need to quit being so picky and get started so I am ready when season starts.

Tyewire,
It has a G5 4 pin sight and peep, schaffer falll away rest, mathews 2pc 5 arrow quiver, and I can't remember the name of the stabilizer. Next to my old Golden Eagle it is decked out ;)

TahoeRy,
Definately going to check out camofire thanks

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:11 am

Sounds like you all ready have a great start! Get yourself a dozen arrows and a release and you are shooting!!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sun May 06, 2012 12:01 pm

As per your equipment goes, it sounds like you have enough to get started. You didn't mention a releaase, and I shoot a back tension, so don't get back into archery with one of those. Because Mathews bows are draw length specific, find one that is correct to the draw length of the bow. A thumb release will typically allow for a longer DL and a wrist strap will acommodate a shorter one. Truball makes some of the best. I had Pro Diamond Extreme until I went to back tension, whch allowed for a longer DL yet. Unfortunatly, it is a trail and error process. But is fun to try differnt things.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!