Bow Tuning Troubles

Talk anything related to bowhunting
For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Bow Tuning Troubles

Post by For The Love of It » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:21 pm

I currently have a hoyt turbo hawk shooting PSE radial x weave 300's. Im shooting 62 pounds with a 125grain point. Also I am shooting 4" aae vanes with a hard right helical out of a QAD rest. Even with my field points i cant get my bow tuned I end up running out of adjustment to the left on my rest. The bow shoots good but when I put my G5 montecs on they have a little kick to them. Im pretty sure the bow is timed right as I am shooting a winners choice string and cables and both cams are hitting the stops. Does anyone have and other suggestions that I may wnt to try? Only thing that I have decided is my next bow will for surely be a solo cam bow as they are easier to tune and a little more forgiving. Thanks for the help.

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Re: Bow Tuning Troubles

Post by Tonoonyi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:10 am

You did not mention the arrow length or draw length.

The arrow spine, tip weight and arrow length will probably have more effect on bow tuning than a lot of rest adjustments.

My first move would be to shoot an 150 grain tip and see if it starts to clean up or gets worse. That weight bow usually falls more into the 340 spine category.

Good luck
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Re: Bow Tuning Troubles

Post by PhillyB » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:45 pm

I agree with Tonoonyi... sounds like the spine of the arrows if wrong, especially if they are hitting right... they are too stiff. Try a heavy head and see what happens or try picking up a lighter spined arrow.

If you want those arrows to work, turn up the poundage. I am shooting an Alphamax at 72 lbs 289 fps with a 300 spine arrow and it flies great.

But before you do anything, you need to get you bow back to square and start tuning again.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing