Face Camo?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Face Camo?

Post by Bowtech43 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 pm

So I've used a mesh face mask in the past. I have lost it. I'm wondering about replacing it or going with face paint. Maybe both. What do you guys think of face paint? Those of you who have used it. We'll be backpacking in. Is it worth the clean up? Too messy? What are your thoughts?
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Re: Face Camo?

Post by firefighterbraun » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:35 pm

I will be backpacking in this year as well and am going to be trying out the face paint. I have used the face covers in the past but going to try without and see if it works as good. I will be having field wipes along for cleanup, so we'll see how that goes. The only thing I didn't like about the face covers is when I am shooting I don't like having the material right up against my bow string and possibly catching or screwing up my shot. But thats why you practice with gear on I suppose!

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:10 pm

The only issue with Face camo is the clean up. I usually try to remember a pack of baby wipes which makes it easier. I just picked up a spandex 1/2 face mask from Bass Pro. Comes up to my nose and holds tight, probably keep it around my neck until needed.
Last edited by Mularcher on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:52 pm

I always use face paint-
#1, I want to put it on in the morning and absolutely not worry about it again till I'm done hunting.
#2 it's easy to get off,I always have baby wipes with me for when nature calls, and it works great on face paint also
#3, nothing gets you going better than listening to FRED BEAR , by TED NUGENT, while painting your face in the morning!

BUT in all reality, neither one is a must if you move when you should and sit when you shouldn't move

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:57 pm

I know a lot of guys that opt for the beard instead of the face paint or mask. I'm not a big fan of the beard myself what with all the itching and I end up looking more like a Chia Head than a rugged outdoorsman.
I think I'd go with the paint and some baby wipes.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:44 am

Good comments. I've used a mask in the past. I just get really hot with it around my neck or left on. I'll give face paint a try I think. I like the idea of not being so hot. Do you guys that use it have any suggestions on which to buy? Whichever one is the easiest to clean off I guess.

As for a beard, I'd prefer that, but I have to shave everyday for my job and there just isn't time to sufficiently grow it out. i wish.

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:02 pm

I stuff I have is from Hunter's Specialties see the link below.

http://www.basspro.com/Hunters-Specialt ... 7362/78578
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:56 pm

The beard would be nice for those of us who's jobs don't require a clean shave everyday! lol But I am looking forward to not having to shave for the next 10 days due to vacation time saved for the opening week of the bow hunt! Plus I don't feel like taking shaving stuff into the backcountry. :) I just bought some Dead Down Wind face paint that was at my local bow shop, guess it all works probably about the same. I'll let ya know though next week when I return.....hopefully with some sweet field pics too!

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:36 am

firefighterbraun wrote:The beard would be nice for those of us who's jobs don't require a clean shave everyday! lol But I am looking forward to not having to shave for the next 10 days due to vacation time saved for the opening week of the bow hunt! Plus I don't feel like taking shaving stuff into the backcountry. :) I just bought some Dead Down Wind face paint that was at my local bow shop, guess it all works probably about the same. I'll let ya know though next week when I return.....hopefully with some sweet field pics too!
Haha.. Funny post. Looking forward to some good pics. Good luck.

sagehunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sagehunter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 pm

I wish i could grow a beard :>/