killerbee

Re: BIG BULL DOWN!!! - UPDATED PIC AND story

Post by killerbee » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 pm

I just noticed the 2nd half of the story didn't post

give me a bit and I'll finish it

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:55 pm

I typed this whole thing in word perfect then copy and pasted it- apparently word perfect is all messed up, because there is no chance that I made any mistakes.......

so back to spotting the bull-

so we were tracking the bull and caught back up to him in 200 yards- he was JUST STANDING in a thicket, AGAIN( i swear I spent a full day watching 1 bull stand and not move) . we moved around to try to get something in him, but he picked the thickest trees to stop in and the one shot rattled through the branches.

At this point is where we decided that he was a dead bull and it was just a matter of time. he wouldn't run away, he just make a short burst and stop 50 yards away. we made 2 or 3 more attempts at getting him shot again, but no hit in the boiler room.

FINALLY- it was getting dark we decided it was now or never, we all nocked arrows and just went strait to him. matt was able to put one final arrow through his lungs and he was down for good!

talk about a relief!

we still have no real explanation on why it took so long for him to die, the shot was a little high, but was in the lungs, there was STILL fresh bubbling blood coming from the hole when we walked up to him. then later , when we flipped him over there was an exit hole, and it was low by the heart. I do not see how the arrow went from one hole to the other without wiping out both lungs.

I will say that this is the last time I will ever shoot a G-5 montech out of my bow. i've been saying for 4 years how they are the dullest factory broadhead I have ever seen. although I have killed 4 bulls useing them, they simply are not even close to comparable with any other broadhead. I was kicking myself while I was still worried about if i was going to loose the bull, knowing that I basically shot the bull. with a dull broadhead( although brand new)non purpose really was just dumb and wont happen again.

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:14 am

Great story Brian! I was wondering if that was the end of the story. lol That is a good thing to know about the Montec broad-heads. I suck at sharpening and never have liked how those feel out of the package so I don't use them.

Anyway! Way to stick with it and get your bull. What a dandy! :thumb
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Nice bull. Good job man.

zachvu
Spike
Spike

Post by zachvu » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Love the story! The pics seem so much more interesting and eventful with a nice story to go along with them! Thanks

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BIG BULL DOWN!!! - UPDATED PICS AND story

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:06 am

Added the rest of Brian's pics to the story.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:13 pm

That is a very nice bull.

Congrats.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Great bull congrats.
What optics do you carry? Your post is the second time in the last couple days I've read about guys glassing in the dark and finding their quarry... I'd go nuts if I tried that with mine, perhaps it's time to upgrade?!?
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:57 pm

derekp1999 wrote:Great bull congrats.
What optics do you carry? Your post is the second time in the last couple days I've read about guys glassing in the dark and finding their quarry... I'd go nuts if I tried that with mine, perhaps it's time to upgrade?!?
I use Leica Trinovide 10x50 bino's I've always been a HUGE fan of 50mm objective. they gather so much light and if you have any moon at all I start glassing 1 hour bevore it gets light. Granted, your not going to field judge anything at night, but you can spot bodies and get into position before it gets shooting light

THANKS BRETT for adding my pics for me :thumb

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:59 am

What a gorgeous bull KB, congratulations! Nothing like chasing those ol' stinky bulls in the rut. Thanks for sharing.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer