UT North slope archery deer

Talk anything related to bowhunting
nvbowhunting
Fawn
Fawn

UT North slope archery deer

Post by nvbowhunting » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Drew the north slope archery deer tag this year. I have heard its much better for elk than it is for deer. But what can I expect on this hunt? Should I spend time hunting during the normal season? Or is it much better during the extended hunt? Any help would be great!

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Re: UT North slope archery deer

Post by derekp1999 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Had a muzzleloader tag out there in 2010... it was tough. Saw 2 bucks, both spikes & shot one of them. I've seen some good bucks around Whitney Res just west of US-150 but you'll need to be very careful of the private property boundaries & be prepared to see lots of other people. There is so much wilderness there but it's heavily used with all types of recreation. If you'd like solitude you'll need to get away from the established trails... but you may not like the overall numbers of deer you'll see (unfortunately, I've seen more deer around the roads than in the wilderness). It's amazing country and some of the most rugged terrain around, take it all in and bring a fishing pole!

The extended archery occurs in limited areas, make sure you look them up on the DWR website & know the boundaries and dates... the North Slope is NOT included in the extended. The archery elk hunt goes on at the same time... you'd be wise to pick one up OTC when they go one sale and have a nice little combo hunt.
Last edited by derekp1999 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

nvbowhunting
Fawn
Fawn

Post by nvbowhunting » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:53 pm

thanks for the reply. ya i have heard that it can be a tough hunt. I plan on backpacking in as far as i need to to kill something. But it almost sounds like i`d have a better chance killing something closer to the roads ha. but do you think the bucks tend to stay in the higher country, or do they tend to stay down lower?
and i now know i cant hunt on the north slope during the extended hunt, but i can hunt in any of the extended-areas correct?
and ya im planning on buying an OTC elk tag too. ive heard the elk hunting is much better than the deer hunting ha

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:14 pm

They will be up high, I'd bet on it. Back packing in somewhere will reduce the number of people you will encounter. The elk will be high too. I've never had much luck out there, so I've taken to hunt in American Fork canyon close to where I live.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 pm

nvbowhunting wrote:thanks for the reply. ya i have heard that it can be a tough hunt. I plan on backpacking in as far as i need to to kill something. But it almost sounds like i`d have a better chance killing something closer to the roads ha. but do you think the bucks tend to stay in the higher country, or do they tend to stay down lower?
I've never done well up high, saw most of our deer between Stateline Res & Poison Mtn. Saw lots of elk in that area as well. If I were to hunt that area again I'd find me a nice piece of "in between" land... just further than the day hikers will go but not as far as the guys with horses.
nvbowhunting wrote:i can hunt in any of the extended-areas correct?
Yes, there are three extended areas for deer: Ogden, Wasatch, and Uintah Basin. The Wasatch & Uintah Basin are also extended for elk.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:27 pm

the higher you go the better the deer. Most of the deer I seen in the back country were bucks. near the roads you would see deer aplenty but mostly does. Make sure you have some good optics and a great pack! And good luck. the elk are a plenty as well. Try the manderfields area above gilbert meadows. Tends to always have some good deer in there.