Any brilliant tips?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
loco4muleys
3 point
3 point

Any brilliant tips?

Post by loco4muleys » Tue May 08, 2007 5:07 pm

I recently got a compound bow and am going to start shooting it this summer in preparation for archery season, which opens up in the middle of August. Does anyone with experience have any great tips that'll help get me started?

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Tue May 08, 2007 5:38 pm

My tip is to start shooting it now, and not wait for summer! Of course, here in Phoenix it ALREADY IS SUMMER (101 degrees already)!
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue May 08, 2007 7:02 pm

May sound very basic, but once you get sighted in and start practicing, aim small and you'll miss small. Same goes when you are hunting.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue May 08, 2007 8:36 pm

well i'm no expert but this year i put a kisser button on my bow, my thought process is that i'[ll shoot the crap out of it and use it to help my form/ anchor point. if at a later time i decide i dont need it anymore i may take it off. but soo far i instantly showed a lot better groups and it really didn't slow my bow down that much. so far i'm loving it, and don't know if i will remove it. what does everyone else think of a kisser button???

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Tue May 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Don't poke yourself in the eye! #-o
There's always next year

straightshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by straightshooter » Wed May 09, 2007 1:20 pm

Get yourself a good 3-D target and shoot the crap out of the vitals at 20 yards, until you're sick of it. Then move back to 30 yards and do the same thing. Then 40 and so forth. Now do this as much as you possibly can before the season opens. There really is no cure for buck fever but working those muscles out and dialing in your sights will certainly help. :arrow
I hunt Utah 'cause there's no deer in California!

straightshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by straightshooter » Wed May 09, 2007 1:22 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to add that I see you're from Modesto, so unless you have an out of state tag somewhere, you won't have to worry about shooting a deer here 'cause you prolly won't see one :)
I hunt Utah 'cause there's no deer in California!

loco4muleys
3 point
3 point

Post by loco4muleys » Wed May 09, 2007 10:04 pm

You're right, deer hunting is California is the pits. Unfortunately, being a college student, an out of state tag is an out of the question tag. But I have a few spots where I know there'll be deer come hunting season. Thanks for the tips, though.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 pm

Man boys......I love bowhunting CA bucks.....lots of opportunity and success in certain areas.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Thu May 10, 2007 2:27 pm

Use a good "T" stance with your feet about shoulder width apart (if right handed) keep your right elbow high and your arms relaxed (letting your back muscles do the work). Get a good consistant anchor point and a kisser button will help with that. Don't grip tight you will tourqe your bow and it will move at relaease. Unless you have a bow that is 38" or greater axile to axile I would use a mechanical release over fingers. Follow through with your shot keeping eye on the target past release or you will drop your arm which again will effect your shot.

After practicing a lot in your yard at some point go to a 3d shoot.

Also, after getting the basics down start practicing with your hunting clothes on and shooting from elevated areas if stand hunting.