HOW FAR IS TO FAR??

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Show_Me_Your_Rack
2 point
2 point

HOW FAR IS TO FAR??

Post by Show_Me_Your_Rack » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:03 pm

I HAVE MY BOW SET UP WITH PINS THAT GO 20,50,60,70,80,90,100 I HAVE KILLED DEER OUT TO 73 WITH NO PROBLEM ARROW DID A COMPLETE PASS THREW AND THATS AFTER GOING THREW BOTH SHOULDERS!!!! I WAS WONDERING HOW FAR YOU GUYS WOULD SHOOT A DEER WITH A BOW AND BE CONFIDENT THAT YOU WOULD RETRIEVE IT? I WILL TO 100 BUT I THINK ANY FARTHER IS PUSHING IT!!! LETS HERE WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE TO SAY?????????
The situation is you aren’t going to kill a big buck unless there’s a big buck where your huntin!!!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:20 pm

i believe randy ulmer wrote an article saying how he never takes a shot on an animal past 50 yrds obviously since how he known for being one of , if not the best archery shooters in the world, it's not because he cant shoot farther it was because of the time it takes the arrow to get where it is heading and how much the animal can move. i practise out to 80 yrds all the time but i would look like a complete fool to try and tell everyone that i was a better shot then Randy Ulmer is. for this reason i also would look like a fool to say i would shoot farther than he would :-k :-k
my limit 50 yrds, and under no conditions would i ever believe that some one is 100% of making shot farther than that 100% of the time------ just my bull headed opinion i guess???????????????????
Last edited by killerbee on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heads or Tails
2 point
2 point

Post by Heads or Tails » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:26 am

'bee you touched on some very good points. I hear guys quite often explain confidently that they can shoot at longer yardages using the "I can" statement. At times it reminds me of when I was younger and we had rock skipping or throwing contests.
As ‘bee mentioned with Randy Ulmer, I believe there is probably a fair number of us shooters here that are able to or do shoot at longer yardages (70-100 yds), however shooting at a target butt or a Styrofoam 3-D animal target is a whole different story than shooting at an animal in the field that we are intending to harvest ethically. As mentioned, there is a lot of time lapse between release and arrow placement contact. There are simply too many variables that can come into play even for the most seasoned shooter such as: wind, angle, terrain, yardage, wind-at a longer yardage the wind may very well be blowing slightly where the animal is and not where you are, and yes-good ol’ buck fever, etc… Even the newer 300+ fps bows cannot over come all of those variables. Unless you are one of the few that may have some type of NOS pack implanted into your arrow and you can kick it in as it gets closer to your target. If so, please let me know where I could buy some. :)
It almost makes my skin crawl to listen to someone brag about the “big” buck that they “hit” but never found, I see know pride in non-retrieval. To each his own opinion, but I would much rather see a nice big buck and not get him then throw a “burn-mary” and stick him bad just wounding him or leaving him to rot for the birds and coyotes to fight over. I either want him on my wall or running in the hills--not limping in the hills.
A lot of deer get wounded every year due to hunters throwing “burn-mary’s” and praying they hit the deer.
I am definitely not saying that these shots can’t be made, but in order to make them ethically or smartly conditions need to be very pristine or borderline perfect. There will always be somebody out there with the “big-fish story” of an amazing arrow performance at some miraculous range. Hopefully we are smart enough to consider logical hunting commonsense rather than the bragging rights of a “rock throwing contest”.
After all this is just my ($$)

Remember to aim straight and……..stay calm and pick a spot!
Heads or Tails Hunting Co.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:19 am

great points, there is absolutly no question that the modern bows can make a good kill when a perfect hit occurs at 80 yrd, but the odds of that perfect hit are just not as high. i have a buddy/ for lack of a better name/ that when he was about 17 or so killed a buck at 97 yrds, rediculous in the first place, but that one good shot has ruined him he has wounded his fair share now because he will gladly let er' fly at 120+ last year in utah he was telling me how he couldn't get closer to this bull and he was just mad cus he been after him all morning that he let one rip at 150 yrds! thats not even bow hunting! then he was impressed at how he BARELY shot over he back ](*,) :dumb ](*,) :dumb he is a crack shot on the range but it's not the same out in the woods.

Show_Me_Your_Rack
2 point
2 point

Post by Show_Me_Your_Rack » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:08 pm

Good points both of you :thumb yes when i stated bow hunting i was the first in my family to and when i saked my dad how to do it he said its just like a rifle just you have a bow in hand!!! so i was flinging these shots out to 150 and once my aarow skipped 3 times then almost hit the buck :-k but as the years go on i get a little smarter i have wounded 2 deer in my life and thats not something that i am proud of at all one was at 7 yards and the other was at 56!!! I also agree i want it on the wall or out in the field untouched [-o< [-o< [-o< lets keep it up and shoot strait and true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The situation is you aren’t going to kill a big buck unless there’s a big buck where your huntin!!!

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:31 pm

Show_Me_Your_Rack,

I think that you kinda of hit the nail on the head. I think that to decide what is to far depends upon the situation. At times you may be able to shoot out to 40 or 50 yards with no problems. At other times 20 yards may be to far depending on thickness of brush or weather conditions. This is why it makes me reluctant to say what is to far because it changes for every shot.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

a3dhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by a3dhunter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:23 pm

One point that I consider is what animal I am hunting. I will shoot to 60 yards on elk, but only 50 on deer. That is based on a quiet animal who doesn't know I am there and is relaxed. I think the behavior of the animal needs to be considered as well. Deer are also more likely to jump the string or any animal that is moving, just not wise shots when shooting longer yardages.
a3dhunter

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:27 pm

I'm kind of with 3dhunter on this I would shoot 60 at an elk if conditions were right and mostly I would max out at around 40 on deer but I would consider a 50 yard shot if everything was right.

I too will practice at longer distances but that is a lot different than what I would do on a game animal. These are my self imposed limits not my limitations.

Thunder Head
Spike
Spike

Post by Thunder Head » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:00 pm

Take the species vital size and divide it in half. Now what yardage can you hit that circle consistantly.

Thats what i use for normal conditions. I reduce it of course in high winds or extreme angles.
Have bow will travel !!!

a3dhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by a3dhunter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Thunder Head wrote:Take the species vital size and divide it in half. Now what yardage can you hit that circle consistantly.

Thats what i use for normal conditions. I reduce it of course in high winds or extreme angles.
After reading this, I agree. That is what accuracy I achieve at the known distances I mentioned above.
a3dhunter