mounded coulndt find

Talk anything related to bowhunting
The Ox
Monster
Monster

mounded coulndt find

Post by The Ox » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:41 pm

well i shot about a 22 inch 4 point and tracked it for a about 2 miles and the blood trail vanished i shot him a high asbove the vitals right under his backbone searched several times and could not find does anyone think he may have clotted and survived i seen it was straight abouve the vital right under the backbone for sure and another guy seen the same did he survive?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:07 pm

You mean "wounded right", that's a bummer. He may have survived? Tough call, then again he may have died also. 50/50 ??

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:29 pm

Nope. Not if you hit where you think you did. If you didn't hit the spine, you got the lungs. There is no void between the lungs and the spine. You either hit one or you hit the other. Did he run uphill at all?

With that said, it's more likely that you hit behind the lungs and diaphram. That would be a high shot in the guts. More than likely he's down. Find the nearest water. If he's gut shot that's where he's headed.

I talked to a guy that made a similiar shot on my last hunt. I found his deer 2 weeks later 700 yards uphill from where he shot it.

He stayed down low thinking the deer wouldn't run uphill. Never found a drop of blood either. Here's a pic of what was left of it.

My guess is that he hit high behind the vitals. If he had hit lung that buck would not have run uphill.

Check out this link showing the anatomy of a deer. Notice that there is no space between the lungs and the spine. I suppose you might have hit muscle above the spine, possibly forward of the shoulder.

Did you find your arrow? That might give you some more insight.

http://www.deerhunting.ws/deeranatomy.htm
Attachments
4X4.JPG
4X4.JPG (200.84 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
Hoyt

J0n
Spike
Spike

Post by J0n » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:50 pm

I thought I'd throw my ($$) in. I agree that if the shot was inline with the lungs and high you had to have hit something vital, but if the shot was further back he might have chance. A few years back my uncle killed a bull in AZ that had been shot above the guts and below the spine. The wound apeared to be a couple weeks old and the bull seemed to be doing fine. He had a harem of cows and was rutting and bugling. I have also heard the general rule that if an animal is wounded it will run downhill. I think this is usually the case but I have seen wounded animals head up hill several times. 2 years ago I was with a young man when he shot a doe through both lungs at 125 yards with his 30-30. She turned and ran uphill for almost 200 yards before going down. So anything is possible. If you think you gave finding this buck your "all" that's all you can do. These things happen you just gotta stick with it.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:47 pm

I don't know for sure about deer but with elk there is a dead spot between the lungs and the spine like Jon said. Its hard to tell if he'll live or not.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:08 am

JBird wrote:I don't know for sure about deer but with elk there is a dead spot between the lungs and the spine like Jon said. Its hard to tell if he'll live or not.
I can't find where Jon said that.

There is no "dead spot." Look at the anatomy photos. You will either hit the spine or the lungs. If your arrow enters high inside of the diaphragm, you'll either hit lungs or spine. If your arrow goes into the diaphragm, you have a dead animal (eventually).

If you hit high outside of the diaphragm it's possible to wound the animal and not recover him. Again, check out the photos and you'll see what damage is caused by a high hit behind the vitals. A gut shot animal will take several hours, possibly a day or 2 to die from his wound.

It's also possible to hit high ABOVE the spine directly above the vitals and just hit muscle. Most animals will recover from a muscle wound.
Last edited by Mark on Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoyt

gstiegeljr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by gstiegeljr » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:23 am

mark jones wrote:
It's also possible to hit high ABOVE the spine directly above the vitals and just hit muscle. Most animals will recover from a muscle wound.
I had this happen with a Whitetail about 5 years ago. He was seen about a week after I shot him and appeared to be doing well besides a slight limp.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:10 pm

well i tracked him for almost a mile then it wwent up hill into some nasty country but i oculd not tell exactly where he went just before it started up hill because the blood trail just ended i searched hard but just had no luck one guy seen the buck run past him and he said what i thought just under the spine and right above the vitals i think i may have clipped the backbone alittle but not sure i had one broken blade on my broadhead and it did not pass clean through i found the arrow about thirty yards from where i shot! i seen the arrow sticking out after the shot so i am pretty positive of where i hit.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:58 pm

I said on an elk there is a dead spot between the guts and the spine.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Here's a couple picks of bucks that seem to be gettin' around just fine after being hit.

Not saying that infection can't set in and kill them later on but both of them are up and about.
Attachments
bad-bow-hit-deer-fswm.jpg
bad-bow-hit-deer-fswm.jpg (88.29 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
bh-buck-2-sm.jpg
bh-buck-2-sm.jpg (18.54 KiB) Viewed 4894 times