String supressor?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
DeadI

String supressor?

Post by DeadI » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:23 pm

Is a String supressor such as the STS worth puting on your bow.
I have seen a lot of guys with them. Just wondering what you guys that have had or
do have them right now thought of them.
Deadi

DeadI

Re: String supressor?

Post by DeadI » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:36 pm

The second part of that question is propably that I have a '06 Bowtech Allegiance. What supressor would be best to put on that bow?
Deadi

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:18 pm

I really don't notice that much difference with them or without them. I just started using one last year and I've always shot good without them. I didn't notice any difference with accuracy and very little if any noise reduction. In my opinion the money is better spent on a quality stabilizer.

I have one on my XTec (STS), but I may be taking it off when I change stabilizers. I don't think it's going to fit with the new configuration.

The newer Hoyt's have them on the bow when you buy them. At least some models do. Most newer bows are also drilled and tapped to accept one straight out the back rather than a front mount like I have. The front mounts aren't the cleanest looking in my opinion.

I may be selling mine. If I do and you're interested I'll make you a good deal on it. It has been cut down so I'm not even sure if it will fit on your bow.
Hoyt

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:54 pm

I have this type:
http://www.fusearchery.com/stealthshot/index.php
It quiets it some. All you hear is the string hitting the rubber instead of hearing an occillating string so the noise is much shorter in duration. I think the type of noise is less distruptive in the peaceful forest. Just my $.02 worth.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

Nevadahunter
4 point
4 point

Post by Nevadahunter » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:55 am

Umm guys that would be called steath shot. works awesome capturing the string..i heard something a bout a vectrix was dry fired over 1000 times and still shoots straight.
If God Had Intended For Us To Be Vegitarians, Why Did He Make Animals With Meat?
Unless You Haven't Heard..I'm a Pretty Big Deal Around Here.

Nevadahunter
4 point
4 point

Post by Nevadahunter » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:35 pm

o lol nevermind
If God Had Intended For Us To Be Vegitarians, Why Did He Make Animals With Meat?
Unless You Haven't Heard..I'm a Pretty Big Deal Around Here.

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:05 pm

I put the STS on my Hoyt Trykon and it made a huge difference, for several reasons. I was having problems with every 4th or 5th shot hitting wide left. I just couldn't seem to stop it, although I'm sure it was related to my grip and not the bow most likely. I was told by a dealer that the STS could help solve that, in addition to its sound dampening and other benefits, so I figured it was worth a try. I feel that STS helped for several reasons. including possibly just helping tame the torque like the shop guy said. In addition, I like being able to rest my little finger along the side of my stabilizer, however, the Trykon's stabilizer is too low for me to do that. The portion of the STS that sticks forward of the riser is perfect for that purpose. This helps me keep the bow from torquing on the shot as well. The rod also runs against my wrist which I think helps stabilize it further. So, I have been very happy with mine.

Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

cabowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by cabowhunter » Sun May 18, 2008 12:53 am

I have a MeanV string supressor on my Bear Instinct, and a STS on my ROSS, on the bows I am using they do make a difference.
ROSS Cardiac 60#, ROSS C337 60# Bear Instinct 65# , All Leftys 29" DL
Excalibur ExoMax 225# W/ Excal Lumizone
NAP Spitfire 125's
California Licensed Guide #011290
http://www.myspace.com/cabowhunter

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun May 18, 2008 9:00 am

I shoot with some guys who have bows that they have decked out with all kinds of stabilzers and string suppressors etc., etc.. A good rule of thumb is if you need to put alot of stuff on your bow to get it to shoot there is one of two things going on. Either your form is a problem or the design of the bow is suspect. Shooting wide left or right is sometimes not related to your grip on the bow( which you shouldn't be gripping in the first place) but your grip on your release( which you shouldn't be gripping either). I see lots of guys with a death grip on the shaft of the release which torques the string and you get a release that sends the arrow wide. It should be let to float and in line with your arm. The little releases with a nylon strap help. I've got a Scott Wildcat and had to learn to let go of it after I rotated it into position.
I recently bought a Diamond Black Ice and returned it after I found it just wouldn't settle down and shoot. The experts at the club told me all the stuff they did to get theirs to shoot and it was normal. I felt it was new and should shoot well right out of the box. I returned it for a PSE Mossy Oak X and have never been happier. My friend Dave shot it and went out and relaced his with a PSE Dream Season X Force ( he had to get the next better of course) and he's not frustrated anymore.
Mark

azoutback
Fawn
Fawn

Post by azoutback » Sun May 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Before I bought my ross cardiac, I had a switchback xt. I put an sts on it and it helped make the shot quieter and made the shot feel dead in my hand. My cardiac has one factory installed. I think they help a bunch. ($$)