Paunsaugunt Archery!!

Talk anything related to bowhunting
bowhuntercop
Spike
Spike

Re: Paunsaugunt Archery!!

Post by bowhuntercop » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:39 pm

He tried last year or maybe two years ago!! Time goes by so fast that I don't remember when it was exactly. He ate tag soup cause he wanted to kill this buck so bad.

Duckdude
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Duckdude » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:32 pm

Fellas,
Glad to see that the Pauns thread is still alive and kicking.

As for Black Magic, I lucked into an encounter with him 2 days before the season. I got some decent footage of him with a group of other bucks. Black Magic definitely gets your attention! I hunted the area the first two days of the season and I gave up on him and another couple of bucks that I was after. They were in a big wide open flat, but it was adjacent to some thick stuff. I imagine that they go back into the thick stuff once the pressure hits.

I ended up having a great hunt. All I can say for the Pauns is that if it's down now....dang, what was it like before? Must have been pretty awesome.

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:50 am

I hope you get him, he would sure look good on the wall!
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:55 pm

Duckdude,

Yes the Pauns is down from what it used to be trust me. :)

Black Magic is a site to behold isn't he. Did you tag out?

Duckdude
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Duckdude » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Yeah, I tagged out on the seventh day of the hunt with this nice tall 29.5" 5x4. It wasn't the biggest buck that I saw, but it's my best buck to date. I was totally thrilled with the hunt....what a place.
PICT0609-2.jpg

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Thats a great buck 10sign: thanks for sharing how about a story of the seven days
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:00 pm

Duckdude

What a buck!! 10sign:

Congrats on a fine looking animal and thanks for sharing him, lets see some more photos. :thumb

mapleton archer
2 point
2 point

Post by mapleton archer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:54 pm

duck dude very nice. you are stoked man!

paunsaugunt 08
Fawn
Fawn

Post by paunsaugunt 08 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:00 pm

Thats a beautiful buck duckdude. I also had a paunsaugunt this year it is a amazing place. Where abouts did you kill your buck? Whats the story? Whats a score? Again awesome buck congrats.

Duckdude
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Duckdude » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:35 pm

Well, like I mentioned it was a great hunt. In 13 days of scouting/hunting I got to look at 420 bucks. Now before you get too excited about this, yes some of these were the same bucks from one day to the next, but not were the same buck in the same day. All in all, we figure that somewhere between 220 and 250 were seperate individual bucks.

We saw 5 different cactus bucks, including Black Magic two days before the season opened. The buck I got was around the 5th to 7th biggest buck of the trip. I was told about my buck and another much larger buck running together from a guy on one of these websites. His information was dead on. It took me 5 days of hunting this area before I finally ran into the bigger of the two. He was a mid-thirties gigantic deep forked 4x4 that was near perfect. After a couple of close encounters, unfortunately I couldn't get a shot at him. The next day I went back into the same area and ended up catching my buck bedded with a couple of others. After a 26 yd shot, my hunt was over. Even though I didn't end up with the bigger buck, I was totally pumped with the one I did get. Like I mentioned, he was 29.5 inches wide and 20 inches tall. He has a short back tine and is missing one eyeguard. With that, he'll end up grossing in the 180's and I'll find out what he nets later.

Anyways, the Pauns is definitely a special place. Just don't go down there and expect to see big bucks everywhere. You still have to do your homework and hunt hard if you want a good one.
DD