New Madness Guy...Elk hunt

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Bowdacious
Fawn
Fawn

New Madness Guy...Elk hunt

Post by Bowdacious » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:53 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum and somewhat new to bow hunting (last 2 years). Found this site reading up on any and all Elk info I can put in my brain. I leave Sunday for my second year try for an archery Elk. Headed up to Augusta, Montana on the Rocky Mountain Front with an Elk, Deer and Bear tag in my pocket. Hunted the same place last year and never got to draw back. I hunted hard for six days and paid my dues trying really hard. The fires were all over last year along with bad winds and dry conditions. This year looks much better, almost a 180 and I am hunting a little later so it looks like I will hit the rut perfect with the new moon on Monday. I have planned and thought about this hunt for the last 362 days and need to make it happen this year. Reading all the great post's and seeing all your photos you guys seem to have it down... =D>

Any last minute tips/ideas for this new guy from sea level south Florida.... [-o<

Here's the place I hunt....
Montana ->Bow 07' - 48.jpg

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Re: New Madness Guy...Elk hunt

Post by 6x6 bull » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:57 pm

hunt hard, don't give up, and enjoy all the beautiful scenery. You will come home with alot of great memories even if you don't tag a bull.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Bowdacious, Welcome to MuleyMadness!

Wish I could help ya but I am still just a rifle hunter myself. I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK, enjoy the opportunity to hunt some BEAUTIFUL country, and I hope the animals and weather cooperates with ya.

There are a good number of bowhunters here on the site. Hopefully they can give ya any last minute tips that might help ya out.

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:18 pm

::wel This is a great forum with great people you will like it here
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:14 am

Any last minute tips/ideas for this new guy from sea level south Florida
Sure do.....drink A LOT of water before your hunt.......to the point you're stuffed. It will reduce the chance for altitude sickness, especially if you ease into your hunt (elevation wise).

Another good tip that's sometimes difficult to follow....don't give up! Bowhunting is tough.....both physically and mentally. Remember, the last day of the season is just good as opening day.

Lastly, have fun and enjoy the moment. Good luck and have fun!
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:16 am

::wel to the forum!
Good luck on your hunt! Sounds like it should be prime bow hunting time when you get there. Brush up on your calling on your way out and see if you can't bring somthing in to stick with an arrow! Have a great hunt and post your pictures when you get back!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Hntn4em
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Hntn4em » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:22 pm

You might talk to your doctor before you go, because depending on how much time you have, what elevation you are going to, and how long you have, you could possibly get a prescription for a diuretic that might help.
Last edited by Hntn4em on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:14 pm

That looks like great country to me. If I have any advice it would to be to get high and find a nice vantage point, make sure you have some nice binoculars, and glass the crap out of those hills!!! The animals are there for sure, it just takes persistence and patience. Good luck.
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Good luck hope you do good! The water tip is great. You can also eat clif bars and I use tortillas instead of bread with swansons chicken spread. Granola bars are also good to help retain energy. This will help you pack alot lighter.
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"