proposed change to archery hunts

Talk anything related to bowhunting
MULIES4EVER
3 point
3 point

proposed change to archery hunts

Post by MULIES4EVER » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:09 am

I sent an email off to the dwr about this and I would like to get your opinions on it as well.

I agree that something needs to be done for the overcrowding issue on the archery hunt. I have an idea that will not punish the archers. I am an archery enthusiast. I only hunt archery because that is the way I enjoy hunting the most. I do not have anything against rifle hunting or muzzleloaders and I do rifle hunt in Idaho every other year to be with family and friends. I am not a dedicated hunter because I really only have an interest in archery.
The proposed idea is to make the archers pick an area and hunt it exclusively until september 1st. How about we address this in a different manner and say that the archery only tag holders are allowed to hunt statewide as we always have but the dedicated hunter must wait until september 1st to hunt. There are a lot of hunters who choose to only hunt archery but we have to compete with guys that are allowed to hunt all 3 seasons. This would give the archery only tag hunters a break and still address the overcrowding issue.
I would also like to see some more liberal doe tags be released for the archery hunters to try to cull some does from the herd in an attempt to balance the herds a little better. It could be a work order tag much like the dedicated hunter but for archery hunters. For the price of a doe tag and a few hours of service a guy could carry a doe and a buck tag in his pocket on the archery hunt.
The overcrowding issue does need to be addressed but I think there is a much more fair way to go about it.

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Re: proposed change to archery hunts

Post by swbuckmaster » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:44 pm

I don’t know where any units in Utah where a doe needs to be killed on a general unit, except maybe the Wasatch front but I believe last years winter took care of that.

The DWR only kill does when the deer herds are at objective. There aren’t any herds at objective that I know of right now. If you want to grow a herd killing does is not the way to do it. You especially don’t kill does to get the buck to doe ration back into check.

As for your proposal it doesn’t ever hurt to think outside the box.
It makes some good points that I can agree with. However to be fair Archers shouldn’t have to compete with dedicated hunters anymore than rifle hunters and muzzy hunters have to with them.

I personally think we should get rid of the dedicated hunter program and make everyone who wishes to hunt put in some kind of service hours.

All hunters need to make a compromise for the sake of the deer/elk
Archers need to stick to a unit like everyone else for the whole hunt. And tags need to be issued fairly 33% rifle 33% muzzy 33% archery. Fair is Fair

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Agreed, we don't have enough does to be killing any of them. Our objectives for deer are LOW.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help the herds also, if that means goodbye dedicated hunters then sure thing.

Jon B
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jon B » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 am

I wish I could complain about overcrowding. But in Texas there aren't any public lands to speak of. I think you guys have it about right. But Fish and Game probably has an idea that isn't as good and will end up costing you guys time and money. What is a "Dedicated Hunter" or "dedicated hunter tag" ?
Wishin I was Backpackin

MULIES4EVER
3 point
3 point

Post by MULIES4EVER » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:47 pm

It is a hunt that allows hunters to hunt all three seasons. Archery, muzzleloader and rifle.

Not too concerned about the doe tag idea just a thought as the buck to doe ratio is out of hand but the overcrowding issue is the real problem.

jarvis243
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jarvis243 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:10 pm

swbuckmaster wrote:I don’t know where any units in Utah where a doe needs to be killed on a general unit, except maybe the Wasatch front but I believe last years winter took care of that.

The DWR only kill does when the deer herds are at objective. There aren’t any herds at objective that I know of right now. If you want to grow a herd killing does is not the way to do it. You especially don’t kill does to get the buck to doe ration back into check.

As for your proposal it doesn’t ever hurt to think outside the box.
It makes some good points that I can agree with. However to be fair Archers shouldn’t have to compete with dedicated hunters anymore than rifle hunters and muzzy hunters have to with them.

I personally think we should get rid of the dedicated hunter program and make everyone who wishes to hunt put in some kind of service hours.

All hunters need to make a compromise for the sake of the deer/elk
Archers need to stick to a unit like everyone else for the whole hunt. And tags need to be issued fairly 33% rifle 33% muzzy 33% archery. Fair is Fair
I agree. There isn't any reason to get rid of the does.

I wouldn't care to much if they did away with the Dedicated hunter program. It would probably save a lot of animals from getting shot and left because they were not big enough or wounded and not found for three hunts. I like the fact that hunters are able to do service i think that it has helped out quite a bit.

HUNTIN FOR LIFE
2 point
2 point

Post by HUNTIN FOR LIFE » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:27 pm

I wouldn't care to much if they did away with the Dedicated hunter program. It would probably save a lot of animals from getting shot and left because they were not big enough or wounded and not found for three hunts. I like the fact that hunters are able to do service i think that it has helped out quite a bit.
Ok lets just bash the dedicated hunters now. since they pay $195 and do 24 service hours just so they can have 2 tags for three years. Ill give you the benifite of the dout that I dont know all the dedicated hunters and their ethics, but the ones i do know and hunt with would never shot a deer and leave it just cause it isn't as big as they thought it was. I bet there isn't any rifle hunter that has takin a shot over 400 yards and figure they missed with out even check for blood and just move to the next deer.

But I like the fact that hunters are able to do service i think that it has helped out quite a bit.
So why get rid of the only incentive for hunters to do service.
INSANITY! Is doing the same thing over & over again and expecting a different result!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:44 pm

HUNTIN FOR LIFE,

Great comment. I certainly meant no harm in my comment, I am a dedicated hunter and actually feel most guys that are a great sportsman. I enjoy the program and think DH give a lot back with service, money, etc. to help the cause. Heck for all they do I think 3 deer in 3 years is fair.

I'm not saying we need to get rid of DH, but I am willing to look at all options to help the overall herds if needed.

ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Post by ElkaHolic » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:17 pm

Look I am am heavily involved in the Mule Deer Foundation, and supporting the DWR. I have seen the money and projects that get done that help the herds far more than cutting down on hunters. We have and are seeing the efforts of such programs really bring back the herds and every year I see bigger and bigger bucks, it's been unreal. I have to say that this seems a bit selfish, sorry the way I read it is that YOU want more time in the field before anybody else. Dedicated hunters sacrifice not only a missed season but work to provide money and service projects. It's a vital to have this program and to reward those that put in the time and money. I am not a dedicated hunter, but I put in my hours every year anyway. What we really need is not-heads to quit running up old logging roads and crossing meadows, you know hunters ethics. If you see an outfit parked where you planned to hunt move on, have respect.

If you can believe it I had both my tree stands stolen from me this year, thank goodness we had trail cams up as well, it will take time for the DWR and detectives to id them, but it was a guy (I am sure for many reasons) whom I asked not to cross open meadows with his four wheeler. He gave me the riot act and told me off, and said I had better watch who's crap I stepped in. I can not wait to see the look on his face when they knock on his door. BTW if you are ON this site by chance, I will not press charges if you return them and admit it before it's too late!

It Boils down to one or dozens of people wanting more time ALONE in the field, we would all like that, I can not tell you how many times a truck of 4 wheeler has busted a good spot, but that.s just hunting, a better message is ethics and teaching your kids and boasting about it around camp and spreading it that way.
There is a reason they call it Hunting, and not Killing :)
http://www.thehuntersspace.com

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:26 am

ElkaHolic wrote: a better message is ethics and teaching your kids and boasting about it around camp and spreading it that way.
spot on! if everyone showed the same ethics, none of us whould have any problems out in the field.