Opinions please

Talk anything related to bowhunting
kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Opinions please

Post by kinzysdad » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:22 pm

Ok guys and Gals, opinions please. For the last three years I’ve wanted to bow hunt both deer and elk. I’ve rifle hunted both for 20 t years with limited success. Money has prevented me from changing over. I was injured at work in 06 and only until this year was I able to hunt and only deer on the general season. I did put some meat in the freezer but nothing to write home about. Don’t get me wrong, I still feel blessed. OK, here’s the dilemma. Due to the three shoulder surgeries I’ll never be able to draw a bow again. My Doc. Will however write me a letter to take to the DWR for a crossbow permit. I’m struggling and not sure if I should take him up on his offer. Thoughts?

Justin
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Re: Opinions please

Post by Mark » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:05 pm

What part of it are you struggling with? If you feel comfortable with it, go for it. We're not the one hunting with it, you are.

With that said...

Since you asked for an opinion, I'll give you mine. Crossbow hunting isn't bow hunting. They're not comparable at all. The equipment isn't the same and the skill level isn't the same. I'm not saying that you don't need skills to hunt with a crossbow as I'm sure there are plenty of skilled hunters that use crossbows. However, the skill set to bow hunt is a different. You really can't draw much of a comparison between the two.

And I really don't think a crossbow should be used during the archery season either whether you're physically impaired or not. Here in NV they're only legal during the "any legal weapon" season (gun season). That's where they (X-bows) belong.

If you want to hunt deer and elk with a crossbow, that's your prerogative. If your plan is to hunt with a crossbow and compare it to bow hunting, it wouldn't be the same.

That's my opinion. It doesn't come with a warranty, expressed or implied. It's just mine.
Hoyt

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:59 pm

Well, I am not a bowhunter so please take my opinion for what it's worth.

If you can no longer draw a bow back and you are able to get a disabled permit to use a crossbow then go for it. I am not familiar with the rules in your area (Whether you can hunt with a crossbow during archery season/any weapon season) so that might be something to look at also.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:41 am

I would have to agree with Mark crossbow hunting is not like hunting with a bow but it would sure beat sitting at home. If I couldn't pull my bow back any more I would sure be looking for some other alternative, even if it was a knife tied to a stick. I think you should try it and if it makes the old heart go flutter, flutter, then don't listen to what anybody else has to say on the subject. Like Nike says just do it!!

basingater
2 point
2 point

Post by basingater » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:24 am

I agree with AGCHAWK its all how you feel about it,I know a couple of people who hunt with them here in utah,I also agree they should be for the any weapon hunt,

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:53 am

Mark,
I guess the part I’m questioning is a moral debate in my own mind.
Would I be taking advantage my “disability” to further my quest for a better hunting opportunity? Now please understand. I have never shot a crossbow, and what I know about them makes an awful small book.
What type of benefit would a xbow have over a compound? I honestly don’t know.
(???) (???)

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 am

If it's legal....do what makes you happy and what you're comfortable with. I personally feel the crossbow is a viable weapon for critters but it doesn't belong in the archery only season unless it's being used by a handicap hunter.

My father was a bow builder (traditional) for many years and had his shoulder crushed about 8 years back. After surgery, he could no longer pull back a bow....which about took the spirit out of him. However, he's a bowhunter from the old days that doesn't believe crossbows belong in the archery only season at all......so he now shoots a compound with a mouth-tab to draw the bow. I'll be darned if he's not dang accurate with it too! Where there's the will there's a way.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is how bad (challenging) do you want it? In my personal opinion, if it was me, I'd use a method that allowed me to use a hand-held bow that I had to draw, aim, and release. But that's just me. If choose the crossbow and it's legal......more power to you. Have fun, because that's really what it's all about.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:41 am

kinzysdad wrote:Mark,
Would I be taking advantage my “disability” to further my quest for a better hunting opportunity? Now please understand. I have never shot a crossbow, and what I know about them makes an awful small book.
(???) (???)
Only you can answer the moral debate and the question of whether or not you're taking advantage of the disability. I can't really offer an opinion on that.

The biggest difference between X-bows and compound bows is the fact that one is drawn back and mechanically held in place and the other is hand held. That alone removes a lot of the skill it takes to accurately shoot a bow vs. a X-bow. If you've never drawn and held an arrow back on a bow, you probably wouldn't understand that. It's not a simple task. With an X-bow you load it and aim it while holding it just like a gun. They're inherently different in that respect.

Like Roy said, if you choose the X-bow and have fun shooting it, then you're enjoying yourself and that's what it's about. It's a choice you will have to make.

To touch on another comment by Roy, maybe you could talk with his dad and see if maybe he could show you a way to use a bow that would fit you considering your limitations. It sounds like he's come up with a great alternative to the X-bow. A mouth draw tab sounds pretty cool!

I've also heard of a guy that has a harness that he wears that has a release built into it. He clips on his string, pushes the bow away from his body with his good arm, and reaches down with his "bad arm" to trigger the release. There are a lot of creative ways to get the job done if you're serious about bow hunting.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Hoyt

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:27 am

kinzysdad wrote:Mark,
(???) (???)
The Utah Bowman Association made it possible for people with permanent disabilities to be able to bow hunt using a cross bow and/or a draw loc device on a compound bow. You need to have a doctor certified form that shows you are permanently unable to draw a regular bow back. I see NO advantages to using either device over a 'regular' compound bow. They are heavier, allow for one arrow/bolt to be used. As long as it is disabled hunters ONLY that are allowed to use them in Utah I have no problem with them. I drafted/presented the change last year for the draw loc to be included, it is a viable option if you desire to hunt during archery season. Best of luck!
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:19 am

Proudoutdoors, thank you for your input. I ws going to ask about a draw lock. You beet me to it. My Ortho will give me a letter if I want one. As a matter of fact he is the one that asked me if I wanted one. He's a hunter also.