Should I scrap this bow?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
drjeffcbp
Fawn
Fawn

Should I scrap this bow?

Post by drjeffcbp » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:05 pm

I have rifle hunted for muleys in Nevada my whole life, and now I am gettting serious about bowhunting. I have a PSE StratoFlite that my dad got me about 15 years ago. It still has the original string, a flimsy spring arrow rest, no stabilizer, no string silencers, and I never used a release growing up. Should I scrap this bow, or does it still have redeeming features?

What's the general consensus for what a good setup for western mule deer would be? I appreciate any advice!

Jeff

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:26 pm

Personaly I woulg get a whole new set up. Yeah it costs alot of money but in the long run it will be worth it. The way the new setups shoot is a world apart from the older setups. I took up the bow when I was a teenager back in the 80's and I could shoot OK but was never really happy with it. After a few years of this I gave it up and went back to the rifle season. Now that I'm sick of the rifle season I went back to a bow four years ago. I took the time to find a bow that shoots like a dream and that I can shoot pretty well out to fifty yards. So to me it was worth every penny to upgrade to the newer equipment.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

ABert

Post by ABert » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:56 pm

Bow Nut has a point. Bows get better and better each year. But on the counter point... The bow you have worked just fine when it was new and is so much better than what the Indians had many, many years ago. Can you still take game with it? Sure. Are there better bows on the market now? Yes. Comes down to what you prefer. I still fish with an old graphite fishing pole my grandpa gave me when I was about 8. I still hunt with a rifle that my mom bought when she was 17. Just because something is old doesn't mean it won't work anymore.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

flyn_y
Fawn
Fawn

Post by flyn_y » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:31 pm

If you would like to take your shooting/hunting to the next level get a new set up. If you like where you are dont change anything but your string, (for safety) 4c

drjeffcbp
Fawn
Fawn

Post by drjeffcbp » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:51 pm

Thanks. I'll have to decide what to do. Right now I'm leaning towards getting a new setup. That way, I should have a good package with sight, rest, silencers, etc. Then I can invest in some shafts and points and start practicing again.
"Lord, please let me be patient, stalk quietly, and shoot straight."

Genesis 9:3

mmwb
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mmwb » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:58 pm

As stated, get a new string, properly spined arrows. The old bows, if mechnically sound, will do the trick. I haven't hunted with a compound in years, but the old hoyt gamegetter I had seemed to kill an animal as efficiently as the new ones. You will no doubt get more performance out of the newer ones. I don't know if anyone shoots compounds with fingers anymore. I tried releases but didn't like them and could out shoot all but one of 30 some odd release shooters in a target league. Again with higher performance, I don't know that finger realeasing would be consistent enough. Shoot what you got and see how you like it. Go to a proshop and shoot some newer setups and see how you like them...

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:15 pm

if you can still take an animal keep it. its up to you though i dont do archery i just hunt with my smokepole so i dont know anything about huntin with a bow.

GRAYLIGHT
Spike
Spike

Post by GRAYLIGHT » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:07 am

:arrow
Last edited by GRAYLIGHT on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bow hunting is not my SPORT it's my PASSION!

muleystalker01
2 point
2 point

Post by muleystalker01 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:07 am

All I can say is go with what you are confortable with. As for me I still use a recurve on a daily basis I have an old shakespeer and a newer takedown pse. 2 years ago I shot a compound and found with my back problems I could hold it back a little more confortably,however this is also an OLDER bow,it is an old Ted nugent Cobra made by martin,I shoot it full instictively,NO sites or release and I just happened to take the biggest deer of my life with it.
There is no reason to go new if what you have works and you have hunted with it before,take that old bow in have it retuned and checked over, put a new string on and do some shooting.

out2hunt
Fawn
Fawn

Post by out2hunt » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:17 pm

I shoot a hoyt x-tec (with all fuse accessories)and can tell you first hand its the difference between driving a honda or a ferrari.I love my bow and it adds to the fun with all it's good looks. :arrow
cmon hunting season