Hang on or Climbing stand?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
#1DEER 1-I
Spike
Spike

Hang on or Climbing stand?

Post by #1DEER 1-I » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:48 pm

So hang on or climbing? Advantages and disadvantages of both, and which is easier to set up from place to place in 2-3 day time lapses?
"Built Ford Tough"--well that's just not tough enough.

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Re: Hang on or Climbing stand?

Post by Bowtech43 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:08 pm

I'm a spot and stalk kind of guy... Sorry.
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:00 pm

Climbing stands are much more versastile as you can move them around from place to place much easier, pack them in to the area you plan to hunt, adjust your height as needed for a particular place. Just need to find the right kind of tree to use them on.

Hanging tree stands you can get with a bigger, more comfortable platform/chair, can use just about any tree but have a set height.

I've got a climbing tree stand and have had pretty good luck with it down in the south. Never thought about using it out west, though. Tree stands are great for heavily wooded areas where spot and stalk is impossible, much like most of the south.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

BowtechAdmiral
Spike
Spike

Post by BowtechAdmiral » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:19 pm

Personally I am a spot and stock kind of guy too. I do have a hang on Big Game XL treestand. It is nice but I thought that it was hard to try to hang it up in the tree 20 feet of the ground. My buddy has the climbing tree stand which is cool but youcan sure hear him going up the tree. My honest opinion is to get a tree stand with arm rests because I found it hard to stay awake in the tree. Make sure you wear your safety harness what ever you choose.
New School Archer. Never settle with good. Always looking for something better.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:57 am

I am definatley a spot and stalk guy but being stationed in North Carolina has forced me to use tree stands. I have used both stands but prefer a climber. You can get up higher and see more with them. Plus the mobility sure does help. They aren't as big and comfortable but that keeps me away. Just like Bowtechadmiral said no matter what you get use your safety harness. :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:24 pm

I,ve hunted the south and in the west, if your gonna use a tree stand get an Old-Man climber. At 17lbs it,s still lighter and more versital than any ladderstand you can get. You can take to your spot and leave it or pack it in and out. I have spent up to 12 hours in this stand with no problem. For what it,s worth if You leave a stand in the woods bury it under leaves and mark the spot. It won,t be there or sombody will be in it. Also make sure you check the regs to see if you can use one. They are senseitive about there trees out west. Good luck.

Cvrn
3 point
3 point

Post by Cvrn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:36 pm

I have been a pretty big fan of the Lone Wolf Hang-Ons.
Extremely light and easy to put up, not the most comfortable for long periods of time. (small and light weight)

I have used 3 other brands i will not use again. I am going to try a Millemium this year too.
SNUFF"M

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:17 am

I use both because I like to set my hang on and leave them for the season. I can also put a hang on in trees I can't use a climber.

I always have my climber and use it throughout the season to set up a new location. You really need to practice with your climber as to be able to get it hooked up quietly and quickly in the dark. Also, look for light weight but still with some comfort features. Summit has a nice line along with lone wolf.