new to archery hutning in Co.

Talk anything related to bowhunting
MillerTime
Fawn
Fawn

new to archery hutning in Co.

Post by MillerTime » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:02 am

I am just wondering how this all works out. I was reading up on some of the regs and was getting a little overwhelmed :-k . Growing up in oklahoma the regs were pretty ez but now its alot more in depth. I get to Co. mid july i can still purchase some tags for big game right. I was told that all i could do was get drawn...is that just for the better areas? Any info is good. Thanks guys :thumb

hobbes
Fawn
Fawn

Re: new to archery hutning in Co.

Post by hobbes » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:33 pm

When you say "get to CO mid July", I'm assuming you mean your moving here. You need to have a residence established for 6 months before you can buy tags as a Resident, therefore you will be buying as a Nonresident. Tags are still available, but cost more.

A big part of CO archery elk is over the counter (OTC) permits, therefore you'll just need to shell out the NR fees and hunt in an OTC unit. As far as deer go, all deer tags are by draw, but there will be some leftover deer tags and I believe the list comes out sometime in July. Leftovers are sold on a "first come first serve" basis. There are also OTC archery antelope units. Archery bear is OTC with caps, meaning you need to be on the phone or on-line when they go on sale because they sell out quick.

As far as rifle goes, second season bull tags can be purchased over the counter. Some units have cow tags over the counter and there is always the leftover list for elk too.

If you do decide to hunt, a small game lic. isn't a bad idea, and allows you to Judo any of the Dusky (Blue) grouse you'll see in the mountains.

Good Luck

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:11 am

All I can add is your only other option is to buy a landowner tag from a broker. They aren't cheap though.
Good luck.
Mark

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:53 am

The landowner tag is a landowner voucher that allows you to take it and buy a license. So you are out the cost of the voucher and you still have to buy the tag.

sheephunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sheephunter » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:23 am

Also, make sure you've got a card that you took a hunter safety course. It doesn't matter where it's from or how old it is, but if you were born after '49 you have to have it to buy a license. I know of guys who showed up here without a hunter safety card and DOW refused to sell them a license, so make sure you have it.