Stickbows?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Tree Killer
2 point
2 point

Re: Stickbows?

Post by Tree Killer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:39 am

KSTRAPPER wrote:I shoot them all but go back and forth :) It's been several years since I made a primitive bow and have been making one just for this season. It's a short bamboo backed Osage covered with bull snake skins. I will be shooting River cane and Ash shafts with turkey feathers and trade points of my own making.

It's going to be a fun season, I will be hunting Elk in Utah, Antelope,Whitetails and Turkeys here in Kansas. I like the WW my self Ron, Awsome broadheads!

Tracy
Hey Tracy, how's it going? You didn't tell me you were going elk hunting this fall! :thumb

What you making your trade points out of? I made some from an old saw blade one time, took some experimenting to get the weight I wanted. I mounted them with elk sinew on some cedar shafts I had.

Those Woodsman heads sure fly good and the bloodtrails are AWESOME! 10sign:
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

"if you rattle, they will come"

'Ike'
3 point
3 point

Post by 'Ike' » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Ron, you should post a few pic's of yours and Santiams bows up, very nice if I do say so myself! Speaking of Bill, where's he at? :-k
2010 & 2011 Destroyer 340 - HardWoods HD
BlackGold Sights, RipCord Rest, CarbonTech Shafts, G5 and BuckNasty Strings

KSTRAPPER
Fawn
Fawn

Post by KSTRAPPER » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:59 pm

I didn't draw any tags this year for Mulie's or Bull Elk that I put in for ](*,) but the unit we hunt in Utah is over the counter for spikes and cows, At least I can pull a bow a hunt and thats good enough for me. I miss the over the counter bull tags there in Oregon though :thumb

I have used skill saw blades and hand saw blades and both work good. I'm hunting with a four blade trade point that I have been working on for awhile this year, There shooting great and can't wait to see how they do for a blood trail.

Tracy

colo72jimmy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by colo72jimmy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:40 am

I'm a new member long time reader. I started bow hunting 8 yrs ago, the first 2 with a PSE compound which I gave away ,and bought a longbow 62" 58lb @ 28 " draw by Spirit Bows maker Brian holly. My draw is 30 " and at first was hard to get use shooting with it. My buddy has the baddest,fastest Hoyt. I made the mistake in letting him take a shot at 30" muley @ 45 yds and missed.I will never do that again. I love my bow and have more confidence shooting it than a compound,Now if I can just get a chance at an elk. 15 yrs and elkless but I will never switch back. I would like to start shooting woods but need some advice. All my buddies shoot compounds and are no help.
Thanks

Tree Killer
2 point
2 point

Post by Tree Killer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:03 pm

colo72jimmy wrote:I'm a new member long time reader. I started bow hunting 8 yrs ago, the first 2 with a PSE compound which I gave away ,and bought a longbow 62" 58lb @ 28 " draw by Spirit Bows maker Brian holly. My draw is 30 " and at first was hard to get use shooting with it. My buddy has the baddest,fastest Hoyt. I made the mistake in letting him take a shot at 30" muley @ 45 yds and missed.I will never do that again. I love my bow and have more confidence shooting it than a compound,Now if I can just get a chance at an elk. 15 yrs and elkless but I will never switch back. I would like to start shooting woods but need some advice. All my buddies shoot compounds and are no help.
Thanks
What you shooting now carbons or used beer cans(alum)? My favorite wood arrow shaft is douglas fir, but quite a few woods make good arrows. P.O.Cedar is the most traditional, but fir, spruce, lodgepole pine, tamarack, and a variety of hardwoods all make good hunting arrows.

Do you draw a full 30 inches? That's a LONG draw with a stickbow! If you draw 30 inches you'll most likely need a 70-75 spine. 25 years ago when shot a compound my draw was 33", but with a longbow or my recurve it's closer to 29". I shoot with a straight wrist, bent elbow to keep from slapping my arm with the string, plus I use a somewhat open stance. All those combined shorten my draw considerably.

Here's some of my hunting arrows. I just put a crest on them this weekend. These particular shafts are P.O.Cedar spined at 70-75 even though I shoot 60# @ 20". They fly better then the 65-70 spine arrows I have. The fella that made my Blacktail recurve told me the heavier spines would shoot better, and he was right!

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

"if you rattle, they will come"

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:51 pm

I hunted with a recurve from 64 to 94 at witch point early one morning just before daylight I was forced to break it over a gators head hwile wadeing to astand I had back in the swamp. I hated parting with it but at the time I had no choice. The recurve I wanted cost more than a new compound so I tried a compound. It took me almost six months to get used to useing sights but now I still use a compound for big game.