archery help

Talk anything related to bowhunting
mattman
Fawn
Fawn

archery help

Post by mattman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:52 pm

hey guys, i've decided that getting into archery would be in my benefit. Not only for the obvious challenge but here in Idaho it also drastically increases my hunting season. My question is about bows. I'm trying to decide what to buy and have narrowed it down to two brands. PSE and Bowtech. I have shot both at the local shop and they both felt good in my hands and shot well. The PSE Brute shot well and is a great bow for the price IMO. The Bowtech felt a little better to me but my issue with it is the price. I'm on a budget so price does matter. The reason the Bowtech still has me considering it is its incredible reputation. I personally know 5 people i can think of off the top of my head that shoot Bowtech and i've never heard a bad thing out of any of them. One of them is a female pro staffer for Bowtech. I did also shoot a Hoyt and Martin but to me they didnt feel as good in my hands or shoot as nice as the PSE and Bowtech. So here I am asking for some opinions. Is it worth it in the long run to save up the extra and go with the Bowtech or will the PSE serve me fine? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Keep hiking until you dont see sign of human life, then hike some more. That my friend, is where the monster lives.

numbnutz
2 point
2 point

Re: archery help

Post by numbnutz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:14 pm

I was in the same boat. I was looking for a good bow on a budget and ended up getting a PSE and I am very happy with it. It shoots great and feels great. It boils down to what feels best to you. They are both good brands and cant go wrong with either but let the bow pick you.
lifes short, Hunt hard!!

Archeryguru
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Archeryguru » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 pm

They are both good bows, I think you would be happy with either. But saying that I think the pse is the nicer bow. good luck.

http://www.archeryguru.blogspot.com

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Both are good bows, but I personally like the Bowtech myself.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

BowtechAdmiral
Spike
Spike

Post by BowtechAdmiral » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:16 pm

Personally I prefer Bowtech. I have never liked pse, they just don't feel good in my hand. They are good bows though. If I were you save the extra cash and get the Bowtech, you said you liked it more. which Bowtech are you looking at?
New School Archer. Never settle with good. Always looking for something better.

mattman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mattman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm looking at the admiral, which changes to the admiral FLX in 2010. Local shop doesnt have any 2010 bows yet though but from what i've read the only changed made were for the better so i'm sure i'll like it just as much.
Keep hiking until you dont see sign of human life, then hike some more. That my friend, is where the monster lives.

BowtechAdmiral
Spike
Spike

Post by BowtechAdmiral » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:38 pm

The 2009 Admiral is awesome. Love mine except for the speed. I worry about the new flx system from Bowtech. According to bow site the Admiral is the second best bow of 2009 behind the Hoyt alphamax. You will love a Bowtech.

mattman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mattman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:09 pm

What has you worried about the FLX system? And what on earth isn't to like about the admiral's speed? Seems pretty good to me comparable with other brands.

BowtechAdmiral
Spike
Spike

Post by BowtechAdmiral » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:00 pm

The FLX is new. I have never seen anything like it in my ten years of bowhunting. I question its strenght and durability, or maybe it will be just fine. As for speed mine set at 27.5 inch draw length cranked down to 70 pounds only shoots my 400 grain arrow at 271fps. My friends Alphamax 32 with the same draw length and draw weight shoots a 408 grain arrow at 290 fps. That is a huge difference. That is a lot more kinetic energy and energy down the range. Also your pin gaps would be tighter allowing room for margin of error with your shoot with shooting the wrong yardage.

Thats my only problem with the Admiral. I love the bow and it got the job done for me this year with a full pass through on my buck at 60 yards quartering to me.

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:12 pm

If you like the Bowtech better, but buy the PSE, you'll be thinking about the Bowtech and it will drive you crazy. If it's not too much of a stretch, buy that one, and don't look back. You won't regret it.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!