Good boots for late October hunt???

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
doeslayer32
Fawn
Fawn

Good boots for late October hunt???

Post by doeslayer32 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:32 pm

hey guys just looking for some good feedback on some good hunting boots that aren't going to break the bank for a guy that has poor circulation and that will be doing a mixture of glassing and stalking but mostly sitting in the Rifle Colorado area I've been kinda leanin towards the 600 gram cabelas all leather boots what do u guys think???
VEGETARIAN [OLD INDIAN WORD] FOR BAD HUNTER

THERE IS A PLACE FOR ALL OF GODS CREATURE'S .....RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY!!!!

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:35 pm

doeslayer32 ::wel to MuleyMadness. :thumb

I use Danner Pronghorns with 400ish weight. They keep my feet warm and dry all winter long. Since you're from MN., you might want to go with 600 weight, so you can use them at home too.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

awholelottabull
Spike
Spike

Post by awholelottabull » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:00 pm

I'll second Hiker's vote for Danner Pronghorns. I have a pair of those in 400 gram and a pair of Georgia Boots in 900 gram for colder weather.

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:13 pm

i just use my every day work boots from walmart and they seem to work just fine :thumb

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:49 pm

Those everyday work boots that fit your feet all day long is the way to go. Don't change shoes just to go hunting, unless their broken in real well, like Hikers would be :thumb Take a pair of lightweight no insulation boots. [might be warm and dry] Waterproof insulated boots and be sure to bring packs with extra linings it can get cold and nasty.

lunkerjunker
Spike
Spike

Post by lunkerjunker » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:58 pm

I've had great luck with Georgia boots. I have the all leather 8" gore-tex ones with 600 thinsulate. Maybe I just found the boots that are perfect for me because they're the best boots I've owned. Summer or winter I'll wear them, even snowmobiling. And to top it all off, they wont break the bank. I've found them for as little as 100 bucks.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:05 pm

Danner Pronghorns I got a pair last year not quite broken in all the way yet but very nice :thumb
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

TuPapito
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TuPapito » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:07 pm

I went to Cabela's with all my birthday cash and spent my wad in anticipation of this year's rifle elk hunt. I was prepared to spend at least $150, JUST on boots, more if absolutely necessary. I didn't just put these boots on and take them off. I wore them all for a good 15 minutes and walked up and down the little "rock" display that they have in the shoe section. I spent about 3.5 hours in the shoe section, and I am sure the associates were sick of me by day's end.
Here's what I found:

Meindl Perfekt Hunter: Stiff as heck and very narrow toe area. Felt that blisters would easily form on the lower-back portion of the heel. No insulation would require nice, thick socks.

Mendl Hiker Elite: Stiff but workable. No insulation. OK, but for the price....nah.

Danner Grand Slam: The 1200 gram Thinsulate boot was wonderful. Wide toe area, nice, soft feel and no hot spots. But the 600 gram boot was vastly different. Tighter in the toe area, which, for me, means blisterville. Since my purchase will be used in the hot summer months as well as the middle of October, 600 grams of Thinsulate was as much as I was willing to go.

Cabela's Whitetail Extreme: They were OK. They had LOTS of arch support which might be good for some, but for me, it just means blisters in my arch.

Irish Setter Raptor: YUCK! Felt terribly stiff and uncomfortable on my foot and would've even given me blisters on the TOPS of my feet. They just seemed a little weird to consider a 'hunting' boot.

Cabela's 6-Point: By far the best. Fit my foot like a glove and felt no hot spots or stiffness, except for the tread, which tended to return a good portion of energy back to my foot with each step.

Rocky something-or-others: Crappy boot. Felt like it was going to slice my foot apart if I kept walking in them.

Wolverine Ironwood: Pretty OK boot, but no insulation.

The boot prices varied from $59.00 - $189.00. One of the Meindl's was priced at $259.

The winner, you ask? The $59 Cabela's 6-Point boot. I believe this is the same boot you are talking about...they have 600 grams of Thinsulate. Now, my experience will be different than everyone else's because feet are as different as finger prints. Nobody fits the same boot.

I took these boots on a 10-mile hike in the Uinta's this past weekend. They performed flawlessly and I had no hot-spots or blisters.
Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is more cowbell!

younggun
Spike
Spike

Post by younggun » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:22 pm

Mendles, they're $500 canadian but worth it. [-o< no need to take off boots when crossing creeks, and if they get wet just take out the inside dry it off and pop it back in.
I've climbed 2 mountains. Found this guy, camped out on top of the world. I'm goin to get that ram. Thoughts of a commited sheep hunter. Work the next day, who cares, wife or girlfriend, THANK GOD! i'm hunting sheep and not at home.

Ray
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Ray » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:44 pm

Hi all i'm new here but figure i'll add my 2 cents.
I've got the cabelas 6 points 600 grams. really really comfortable. i walk alot and they get hot as smoke at times specialy on sunshiney days, but nice and toasty on those early mornings wait'n on day break. BUUUTT they'r real narrow at the base of the tounge and its real hard to get my foot in and almost impossible to get em out. plus i remember the being more than 59.00 bout 110.00 i think. well thats all I've got hope it helps.
hey that was fun! :)