Idaho Whiteys

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:47 pm

man now i am gettin excited about some whites i tohught about trying idaho but i have way to much going on this year maybe next!

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:53 pm

Well Ox, I am more than happy to help out any MM member if they decide that they want to chase N ID Whitetail. I'm not some great guide or superb hunter....but I do hunt em every year and can at least give ya a head start if ya like.

I do not have any hook-ups on private land or anything either. It's all OTC on public land...but there are a lot of deer and a lot of land.

IdahoSkies
Fawn
Fawn

Post by IdahoSkies » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:36 am

While in school I hunted whitetails in N. Idaho, they are all over the place. It almost like grouse, shake a tree and they fall right out. I do miss the either-sex tag (I'm in S. Idaho now where its buck only and two zones are 4 or better only). They were fun to hunt because I saw something everytime I went out, and there is so much open land to hunt on up there. Have fun.

treetop
Spike
Spike

Post by treetop » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:20 pm

Say Hawk, could you give us a little info on what it costs to buy an OTC out of state tag.
You've got my interest up too.
We have been talking for several years about trying for a whitie, and we thought we'd have to go to eastern Wyoming to hunt and I guess that the CWD is getting bad there.
Also please tell us when the hunts are.
If they are rut hunts they are probably after all the hunting around here are only memories.
These other guys will have to offer you a Utah Muley hunt cause there are no deer where I live.
But if you ever draw a Pahvant elk tag I could show you a good time.
The rifle elk hunt started here today and I rode up the canyon tonight to see how a friend had done the first day and he's seen so many big bulls he doesn't know what to do next.
His wife has a tag too and she broke her foot just before the hunt so she can't walk. the guys in the camp next to her showed her a 360 bull that they spotted. They didn't want anything like that on opening day so they showed her where to look and she got a shot of two but missed.
I took up a horse and trailer and dropped it off for them to use if they want to. then she could ride back off the road some and not have to try it on crutches. She is a real sport to even be out there trying as bad as her foot is. But then it's really a once in a lifetime hunt so you gotta try.
I'll go back tomarrow and chech and see how they did.
Treetop

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:40 am

Treetop, you don't have to "offer me" anything in order for me to help ya out. You just have to be a Muleymadness member and a decent individual. Since you are certainly one and seemingly the other I'm more than willing to help out. (With that being said, if I ever have the opportunity to hunt Elk on the Pahvant I just might take ya up on your offer :) ).

A nonresident Idaho license is $141.50 and the "Whitetail only" deer tag is $258.50. It may seem steep to some folks but I live right on the Idaho boarder and spend as much time there as I do here in WA. Plus, I generally buy the combo hunting/fishing license since I do a lot of fishing in ID too.

If you are interested in this hunt and want to hunt the rut you MUST buy a "Whitetail only" tag and not a regular deer tag. If you buy a regular tag you can still hunt whitetail (you can hunt Mulies on the regular tag also) but you will only be able to hunt 10OCT07 through 03NOV07 in the units I hunt....it ends before the rut begins. The "Whitetail only" tag will allow you to hunt either 10OCT07 through 01DEC07 or 10OCT07 through 20NOV07, depending on what unit you are in.

The 6 units I hunt are split, with the season in the northern 4 (5, 6, 8 and 8A) running through 01DEC07 and the season in the southern 2 running through 20NOV07. I can get you info on other units in N ID if you need them. However, the six units I listed above are the ones in which we hunt.
(All the Whitetail I've posted here came from those units)

It's a blast to call these bucks in during the rut too. We rattle and use calls with a modified "spot and stalk" type method. Although my brother will occassionally use a tree stand, we normally stay on foot, walk and track, and use natural ground blinds while hunting. My favorite memory involves a buck that we never got a shot on:
My brother was rattling and calling while I was stationed about 20 yards ahead of him and to his right watching a couple trails in case a big bruiser came lookin' for trouble. We had called for about an hour with no luck when I signaled him that we should move on. When we stood up..."SNORT!"...a HUGE buck came running in RIGHT BETWEEN US! He must have been stalking the calls and when he first saw movement mistook us for his rival! He was as surprised as we were as I think we ALL jumped outta our shoes!! He snorted, leapt, took a turn almost in mid air, and bolted back into the thick stuff. Since he was between my brother and I, I couldn't get a shot off but just stood there dumbfounded!!! Man, it was cool as heck!

Anyway Treetop, as I stated with the others, if you're ever in my neck of the woods or plan on making a trip up there, let me know. I am more than willing to help you guys and gals out if possible. I will NEVER guarantee that you'll get a shot at a nice buck but I will say that there are a lot there and your chances are very good. We have a great success rate out there, as you can see by the pics, but in hunting there is never a guarantee....and that's what makes it fun!

Lastly, I will probably not be able to make it out there for the whitetail this season. Certain military obligations have come up and I may be shipping out. I will know more in the next two weeks and will let everyone know when I find out for sure but I am still willing to help out as much as possible. Just drop me a line!

Good lcuk my friend and keep me posted.

treetop
Spike
Spike

Post by treetop » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:31 am

WOW AG thanks for the info. I have been on this forum for quite a while now and I'm still amazed at how friendly and willing to help everyone is. It's sure different than what I see on some of the other forums that I sometimes read but never post on.
It isn't likly that we'd be coming up hunting this year. Things take a while to plan and make time and moner for. But planning is half the fun.
If you are in the military then you're one of the people that are remembered in my prayers.
Thanks for all that you do to keep this country safe.
Treetop

IdahoMuley
Spike
Spike

Post by IdahoMuley » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:54 pm

If your still looking for some spots i know lots of areas up north that are full of whitetails too many i think!!
Muley Man!

hghcountry
Fawn
Fawn

Post by hghcountry » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi guys,

I dont mean to crash the thread but my buddy from AZ just informed me that he bought a Non-res white tail tag, and is planing on coming up here the last week of Nov to hunt whities with me..I am from southern, ID and the farthest north I have hunted is around New Meadows, I have been doing my research and near as I can tell units 8 & 8A look like decent units to start?? I would really appreciate any help to point us in the right direction, any other suggestions as far as areas, or tactics, We are not looking for trophies, but a chance at decent bucks would be great, we will shoot does on the last day if it comes to that. Thanks in advance for any info.

-Ed
-Hunt the high country!

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:39 pm

hghcountry, welcome to MuleyMadness! (Yes, we EVEN talk whitetail every now and again here...LOL)

Did ya read the thread? As I stated earlier in the thread, I hunt quite a bit in 8 and 8a. Do ya have any questions outside of what I already posted? Feel free to ask away or you can PM me and we can do it that way. I don't mind either way.

I only ask one thing. If ya score, take a lot of pics and fill us in here at MM when the hunt is complete.

hghcountry
Fawn
Fawn

Post by hghcountry » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:24 am

AG,

Well I waited till the last minute, but I just did get my whitetail tag before they sold out, so we will be headed north for the last week of Nov for sure!
Also I went back and re-read the thread, very good info, just a couple questions, What is the access like in unit 8, it looks like there is a decent ammount of private land, also how is the hunting around Dworshak Res? We will take a bunch of pics for sure! I might bug you a little more as the hunt gets closer, thanks!

-Hghcountry
-Hunt the high country!