300 WIN MAG...testing a new round..Results added!

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
PLP
Spike
Spike

300 WIN MAG...testing a new round..Results added!

Post by PLP » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:14 pm

I purchased a remington model 700 with stainless barrel last year.I shot several different rounds to see what it liked..150gr Fail safes,150gr hornady SST,150gr core lokts,150gr Winchester power points,and the best out of my gun was a 165gr Nosler Ballistic tipped round from Ga arms(A custom reload from a company here in Ga).Which is unfortunately out of stock so I decided to try a new load.

So looking around I found that federal had some 130gr Barnes tipped triple-shock x bullets.That was appealing because a 130gr bullet would be great for flat shooting at long range antelope,or deer and hogs.

Here is the claim
The all-copper design of the Barnes® Triple-Shock® platform allows you to load a lighter bullet and push it to incredible speeds. The Tipped TSX is built for the highest weight retention, rapid expansion and is only available in the Hyper-Velocity loads from Federal Premium®.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... spx?id=750

I ranged 100yds,and first pull of the trigger found it's mark basically 1.25" high from center of my mark.

So I left it there.I think it's good..The main thing that matters to me is "on game" performance...so I am heading to the woods to try and test it out on hogs.I will post my results as soon as I am lucky.I just figured I would post this here incase anyone else was looking for a different load,or a lighter bullet for their 300 win mag.
Last edited by PLP on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: 300 WIN MAG...testing a new round

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Here piggy piggy, I think that load will work great. You should enjoy the lighter recoil as well. ---------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:42 am

I am sure it will perform great! Like I have said before I doubt I will ever shoot another bullet for big game.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:03 pm

sneekeepete wrote:I am sure it will perform great! Like I have said before I doubt I will ever shoot another bullet for big game.
You've already tried this bullet out?Or the TSX?

PLP
Spike
Spike

Re: 300 WIN MAG...testing a new round..Results added!

Post by PLP » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:13 pm

I went out with my youngest son today to test out the round.After a few hours finally stumbled up on 2 small hogs.A 40,and 50 pounder.I took a 117yd shot on the bigger of the 2,and he dropped in his tracks.Double lung shot.

I could talk about it all day but a picture says a thousand words right..

Entrance is bullet sized,but don't let that fool you!I peeled back the hide to show you.

The exit

So far so good!

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:19 pm

That's what happens when a bullet crashes into a rib at about 3100fps or so. Imagine if that had been a ballistic tip. Major carnage for sure. --------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Springville Shooter wrote:That's what happens when a bullet crashes into a rib at about 3100fps or so. Imagine if that had been a ballistic tip. Major carnage for sure. --------------SS
LOL..Fortunately I didnt ruin the backstraps or shoulders,and of course the hams were fine since it was no where near them..I can't wait to see what it does on a large boar.This round is becoming a favorite very quickly. 10sign:

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:12 am

I used the TSX for about 5 years. Then last year I loaded up some 168 Gr. TTSX for Mule Deer and Elk. Both my spike and my buck from 2009 didn't take a single step after I shot. They dropped in their tracks. IMO you have an awesome hunting bullet.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Went after work today and found a few good spots.I had to check one of them again at dark I liked it so much.In the mean time I scouted other places,and decided to check a spot I found the other day..

As soon as I got there I hit paydirt...5 or 6 of em..all good eaters..I picked out the brown one decided to test the barnes on a headshot..whop!Pigs everywhere..I thought I missed for a second but no way!I cut the group off and picked one more out..WHOP!Dropped in his tracks..I went looking everywhere for the brown one,and couldn't find it..Finally I decided to go back where it was standing..and there she was..lol..she had dropped in her tracks too..Pics are not good..only had my cell with me today..

Bullet went in the left side of the skull and exited behind it in the neck..

The 2nd one was hit back a little,but exited in the far shoulder..

So I loaded them up..

Headed to the super hot spot I found..I got there with 30 minutes of light left..As soon as I got there I found a dozen or so hogs..none under 70 pounds!Several big boars..They were fighting.I couldn't decide what to do because I love colors and there were 3 grey ones there..don't see many that color here..But when I saw 2 of the boars fight,and the 3rd one whip the winner of that match I knew which one to try.He was a beast..I had a solid prop and everything..But he was walking at about 100yds..I let it rip,and it sounded like a hard thump..all of them took off and I picked out one of the grey ones running,and folded him up at 110yds on the run!Hit him behind the shoulder and it exited the neck...

I noticed one of the big hogs was running straight ahead full steam while the rest of the pack turned and went to the swamp.It had to be the 1st one I shot so I tried a running shot on him again at about 150yds and I guess I missed.

I looked and looked for him..NOTHING!I just can't believe I missed with a good solid prop..I'm hitting everything else!?!?It's aggravating me..I will go back and look some more..If I find him I will try to determine if it was my shot or if the bullet didn't do the job..We are talking a seriously thick..solid boar..the ultimate test on a rifle around here.I would rather have missed completely..I have to believe I did since 4 of the 5 I have shot dropped in their tracks,but he is 5x the size of them,so we will see..If I'm going to lose big boars with this bullet it isn't going to make the cut..

From what I am seeing the bullet pretty much blows through them at less than 50yds,not expanding as much as it does when it slows...but at around 100 its slowing some,and makes some pretty good holes..Does that even make sense??

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Looking at the damage you would think it was a ballistic tip that hit the hog, absolutly devastating round you have there.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae