Tag soup

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
ABert

Tag soup

Post by ABert » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Six hunters in camp, six deer and two elk tags. Hunting in our favorite unit in which we've never failed to fill tags and we all went home empty handed. We never saw a single elk yet saw PLENTY of deer. Unfortunately, the vast majority of deer were does. The weather was absolutely fantastic for a hiking adventure but not great for hunting.

I saw a total of three bucks, a fork horn opening morning and a spike a couple of days later. Passed on both. About the fourth or fifth day I finally found a shooter. Had about 2 seconds to decide the buck was a shooter and figure out where he would come out and try to get off a quick shot on a moving deer that was spooked. I passed on this shot, also.

We had to take to the timber as there were no bucks or elk to be found running the draws or ridges. Our only hope was to bump them from their beds. Makes for a very tough hunt. A few of the other hunters jumped some shooter bucks but could not get shots on them. Oh, well, I should get an elk tag next year and it was great to get back with family and friends and just to be out in the woods again. Wouldn't miss it for the world!
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

kchesley
Spike
Spike

Re: Tag soup

Post by kchesley » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Dang, sorry to hear that. Sometimes just being out in the woods with family and friends is all ya need but to be out walking around with a tag is even better even if you come home empty handed. Theres always next year right.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tag soup

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Tag soup isn't the funnest thing ever, but agreed getting OUT is always good no matter the result.