Bullet's

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Bullet's

Post by Don Fischer » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:09 am

I haven't been on this site to long but have spent a great deal of time reading thru the forum. What is glaringly missing is any discussion on bullet's. When the hunting is over and the shooting begin's, the bullet selected is more important than it's calibre, the size of the cartridge case it's in or the rifle it's fired from. Nothing, absolutely nothing reaches a conclusion until a well placed bullet hit's it's intended mark.

The bullet's we have available, both factory and handloaded, ammount to an embarrasment of riche's; there are just to many the do the job. A Remington core-lock from it's inception has been more than adaquate when used as it was intended. And of course there is also an embarrasment of riches in improper bullet's also; in suitablr calibre and caqrtridge! A 100gr bullet from a 300 mag makes a sorry big game load!

We've all seen the novice write in and ask what calibre to use for this or that; in fact I believe there's a couple in this forum. And we're alway's ready to recomend CARTRIDGE'S , usually based on our favorite, but hardly ever do we recomend load's. ie: what make's better grizzly bear fodder, that 300 mag with a 130gr bullet or a 7x57 with a 175gr bullet?

There's lot's of places this could go and like most I've my own opinion's. Some think I've an opinion on everything, they may be right! But if this is not something that generate's discussion, I'll just shut up; my opinion would be rather long.

See Ya, Don[/quote]

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:43 pm

I usually hunt both elk and deer combined season, providing I draw a tag for each and need a round that will take both. I hunt with a Rem .270 and have had no problems putting animals down using a 140 grain bullet. I used to hunt with Rem Extended Range boattails, but they quit making them. Moved on to Win Fail Safes and they have done a fantastic job. Thinking about going back to Rem CoreLock's this year as the price of the Win keeping rising. I have shot anywhere from 40 yards out to 300 yards for both elk and deer. As long as I put the bullet where it belongs it does it job. With the Rem bullets I never had a bullet pass through, but the Win have passed through on a few occasions. I've seen deer shot with .338's and have done massive damage and the hunter lost a lot of meat. Never have had that problem with a .270.

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:15 pm

Hi ABert

I find it interesting that this subject hasn't gotten more response. Seem's if someone ask's about which cartridge, everybody has an opinion, far to many based on personnal like's. As I said earlier, there really are so many cartridge's that would work for 95% of North America the subject become's kinda moot. Actually I believed thak Jack O'Conner pretty much proved that the 270win, properly used, can do it all.

I've only owned one 270 and have killed nothing bigger than apiece of paper with it. But I always felt that the 140gr bullet was perfect. If memory serve's me I believe Hornady was first on the scene with the 140gr. The one I had, got shot a lot and alway's with that 140gr bullet.

Another interesting thing is that the premium bullet's seem to have priced themselve's out of your market and now your thinking of returning to Rem Core-Loc's. How old is that bullet anyway? I have read a good number of your post's and don't believe you've a lack of knowledge in this business. On another site I suggested that preimum bullet's were over played and some guy countered with something to the effect that, they don't cost much so he like's then for when something doesn't go as planned. I can't imagine what that would be. Is his target behind a tree and he's going to shoot thru the tree?

My pet rifle hanging on the wall right now is a 6.5-06 and I use mostly 140gr bullet's but am getting ready to try some 129 gr bullet's. A 6.5-06 by any other name might be 270win, I have it because the guy next door doesn't. It's back to our embarrasment of rich's.

Because of that, and I believe you'ed agree with me, discussion's of suitable cartridge's accomplish's nothing except to find out what's popular. The exception being when recoil become's a factor. I believe that some use the super premium bullet's in effort to make, ie: a 25-06 preform like a 30-06, don't work! Many other's are convinced,by advertising, that something magical will happen to their rifle and make up for they're own short comming's, ain't so. What a lot of people fail to reailze is that a bullet that penetrate's to the vital's and destroy's those vital's, kill's!

NevadaMuley
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NevadaMuley » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:41 am

I shoot a .270, and use Remington Core Lokt 135 gr. bullets. Works great for both antelope and mule deer, although I go up to 150gr for elk.

shorty
2 point
2 point

Post by shorty » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:45 pm

This is a all game animal gun 300 WSM 180 grain

gypsy hunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by gypsy hunter » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:40 am

i usally hunt deer and elk combo and we use 180 grain balistic tips 7mm,and man what ever u hit dont go no more then 50 yards.

gypsy hunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by gypsy hunter » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:41 am

[quote="gypsy hunter"]i usally hunt deer and elk combo and we use 180 grain balistic tips 7mm,and man what ever u hit dont go no more then 50 yards and for deer we use 150 ballistic.

TMaC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TMaC » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:31 pm

200gr Accubonds in the .300 win, 300gr Partitions in the H&H though I'm going to find something else for next year and 300gr partitions or 350gr Hornady's for the 45/70. Havn't loaded for my new .300wsm yet and probably wont for this year but looking at something 165 ish.