I need some help fellas

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
MTredneck
Spike
Spike

I need some help fellas

Post by MTredneck » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:04 pm

I'm think'n of get'n into reload'n. If someone on here could explain to me what everything is used for and the equipment i'll need(i know primers,brass,bullets). Right now i'm look'n at an RCBS RC supreme master reloading kit from cabelas its $270. It comes with an RC supreme press, 5-0-5 powder scale, Uniflow powder measure, Speer No 14 Reloading Manual, hand-priming tool, hex key set, case loading block, case lube kit, powder funnel, and deburring tool. I'm go'n to get an electronic caliper for $28 from cabelas,Do i need a bullet puller?,I'm get'n a RCBS Trim Mate, and some dies. What else do i need, i'll be reload'n either 270 win, or 300 RUM
keep her tween the ditches(rdneck for be safe)
you cant tell a rdneck what to do (coach Starnes)
"women stay at home, cook dinner, have our babies and bring me a beer when i holler for it" coach starnes again

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: I need some help fellas

Post by m gardner » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:57 am

Maybe a primer pocket cleaner and I personally like my vibratory cleaner to get all the dirt and case lube off my cases. The Speer handbook is a good one. Read it thoroughly. Usually your best loadings are going to be with a powder that fills the case nearly full to the base of the bullet. If at all possible get together with someone that has reloaded for years and has no disfiguring injuries. Most guys learn best when shown how to do something as opposed to reading about it.
Mark

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:43 am

Best thing to do is get a reloading manual BEFORE you invest in tools, equipt, matls. READ the manual so you know what reloading is all about, then decide what tools, tips, techniques will work for you.
Hornady and Sierra make great manuals,well worththe 40.00 investment.I got my Hornady in 1971 when I was beginning reloading and still use it every session. Used manuals are avail for a good price on eBay.BEWARE ...older loading manuals have hotter loads than 2008 manuals and those loads MAY not be suitable in your particular rifle. And good luck reloading is a great hobby.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:47 am

I agree about getting the manual first. Then when you get the kit, add a case trimmer. All the caliper will tell you when you get one is if your cases are to long unless you also get the trimmer. Also go for an inertia type bullet puller. With a bit of practice you can save the bullets with one. I have both but haven't used the die puller in years.

A word of caution, keep your cases trimmed to under the max length. To long cases will jump pressure.

lifetime hunter
3 point
3 point

Post by lifetime hunter » Fri May 16, 2008 8:53 pm

well.. like my Dad always said.. might save U some money.. but when ur see a big ol buck.. U sneak up on it.. raise UR gun.. slide the safety off.. aim ... click.. ](*,) BEEP $&*#&$ $HIT.. not worth it to reload Rifle loads!!! haha lol
Welcome to Utah................Now GO HOME!

Loke
Fawn
Fawn
Location: Proudly being a Band Dad for the American Fork High School Marching Band

Post by Loke » Fri May 16, 2008 10:43 pm

lifetime hunter wrote:well.. like my Dad always said.. might save U some money.. but when ur see a big ol buck.. U sneak up on it.. raise UR gun.. slide the safety off.. aim ... click.. ](*,) BEEP $&*#&$ $HIT.. not worth it to reload Rifle loads!!! haha lol
I've handloaded tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition, and never had a misfire. If you keep your greasy fingers off of the primers, and pay attention to what you are doing (like double check the powder levels in the case), you won't have a problem with the reliability of your handloads.

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Sat May 17, 2008 4:57 am

I had a couple miss-fires many years ago. Learned to never touch primers with my fingers. But miss-fires can happen with factory stuff also. Not always the ammo's fault. could be in the bolt. crud build up can keep the fireing pin from hitting the primer properly. Also excessive headspace can allow the fireing pin to move the case enough in the chamber to not fire. Don't assume a miss-fire is always caused my reloads.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sat May 17, 2008 8:46 pm

The only misfires I've had were with cheap 22 ammo. I reloaded for over 40 years and never had a problem. Some years when I shot handguns for fun and competitively I loaded nearly 40,000 rounds a year and not a misfire. Be sure to store your components properly and never get WD-40 or penetrating oil near your ammo or primers. Keep your firing pin and bolt free from excessive oil too it will creep into the bolt face and may kill the primer.
Mark

Mack Daddy Muley
Spike
Spike

Post by Mack Daddy Muley » Mon May 19, 2008 6:40 pm

I reload and do not like RCBS for rifle reloading. I prefer Redding. I reload each casing seperatly. Each charge is weighed seperatly then dipenced into the case. Better accuacy! I have had problems with RCBS. And yes you should have a bullet puller. If you are mass producing like with a pistol, I'd use Dillon. RCBS just doesn't hold up well.
"Save a Mule Deer, Kill a Wolf!"