Is this even considered Hunting??

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
edge
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Is this even considered Hunting??

Post by edge » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:08 am

Man there sure a lot of Jim Zumbo's here!

Please tell me you guys don't hunt with high powered rifles, cuz that ain't huntin!
Rule out compound bows, aluminum or graphite arrows, machine manufactured bows....hmmm perhaps bows present an unfair advantage to animals that can't fight back!

Of course it IS hunting. OK, it isn't your way so don't hunt that way.
I'm sure you guys don't use 4 wheel drive vehicles to get into remote areas either...since REAL hunters don't!

edge.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:24 am

Yep it aint hunting if you dont walk from the house,its just not fair to drive within a mile of your game before you "hunt",and if you arnt using a homeade bow with stone points you are just cheating with your highpowered newfangled rifles.It is hunting and it takes a lot more work to be able to make that shot,LOTS more. :thumb

Larry
2 point
2 point

Post by Larry » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:36 am

it's just a diffrent type of hunting, Most of us don't have the time or money or what every to hunt that way. To say they wound more that other hunter would be a mistake. I'm sure there lots more bad shots made by normal hunters than all these guys put together.
I once had a hunter that would not shoot a cow elk standing in the middle of a 2 track at 300 yrds he had a 30-06 that was very capable of making the shot and did when I used it to shoot the elk. he was not wrong for not taking the shot , he had never shot over 100 yrds in his life.
I've seen guys with laptops and min weather stations so they can have all the data they need to make shot's.
Is it hunting? Yes
Is it a type of hunting I'd like?
No, getting close is as much of the hunt as dropping the game to me.
As NONYA said you need to Know more about it before you put it down,
I know my spellings bad!

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:40 pm

Nonya “Can any of you make that shot”? yes I can and have made shots longer, not on Big Game on Coyotes and Prairie Dogs
But you are right about most people not being able to shoot.
Little Story—
Went to the Range with New Barrel for TC (7mm-08) person next to me shooting at the 50 yd line was able to hit black (4” black). He was happy with that and then tried the 500M steel plates. Sighted in the new barrel, 4 shots. Person next to me having a hard time with the steel, I talked with him during the break and told him how to hit the plates, he keep trying about 20 shots. So I tried 12-15 MPH cross wind. I help 1 mil over, 1.5 left hit just under. Made adjustment 1.5 mil over, 1.5 left dead center, repeated the shot 2 more times. If you practice a lot and know your weapon you can make the shots.
Practice often

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:00 pm

Is it not hunting because it's not BOW hunting? Or because it's spot and stalk and not traipsing thru the blaze orange Pennsylvania woods waving to the hunter behind each and every tree? Or is it not hunting because it's 'technical', much like the difference between Tred Barta's bow and a Mathews? Or is it because it's economically and and technically unfea$able for YOU to do it?

The point I am making is that if YOU define some one elses 'hunt' then you precipitate devisiveness in the sport, which we have enough of..i.e. flintlock vs inline, longbow vs Mathewwws, ML vs the riflemen, 4blade vs folding point, etc etc ad infinitum. What we need in this time of economic and political strife is some unity to offset your brand of derision.

Do you even support and belong to the NRA and a local hunting and/or shooting club?

( Incidentally I quit bow hunting twice in my life, not because I didnt like it, but I twice grew sooo weary of bow HUNTERS.)
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:10 am

If you paid close attention this was not hunting. It was a thinly disguised attempt to sell you a custom rifle and lessons to shoot it. The problem I've seen is that too many try to replace years of practice and skill with expensive equipment and a crash course on how to use it. It takes lots of time and money to learn to do that.
Mark

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:48 am

m gardner wrote:If you paid close attention this was not hunting. It was a thinly disguised attempt to sell you a custom rifle and lessons to shoot it. The problem I've seen is that too many try to replace years of practice and skill with expensive equipment and a crash course on how to use it. It takes lots of time and money to learn to do that.
Mark
It s takes a TON of work to be that proficient,WAY more than most are willing to put in.

CA Karen
Fawn
Fawn

Post by CA Karen » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:36 pm

Ok, I may be new here and it is very nice shooting but 1,000 yard shots considered hunting.. what about the hunter who spent 4 hours to stalk in close to have someone shoot right over you??? or worse at you! Had an encounter with Long range as$&*les... shooting directly at the cow elk (774 yards away)I was within 50 feet of and waiting for them to come up to me. IN hunter orange sweatshirt and cap! and I could see these excuses of humanity clearly!!!!!!!!! Noope its not hunting. A rifle designed for long range shooting with customized accuracy with a customized cartridge/ bullet needs only an accurate shooter who can range and calculate windage. I run a 30-06 on occasion, with a 50 cal muzzleloader as my primary weapon of choice (no scope on the MZ and I can put 3 under a quarter at 100 yards using just a sandbag for a rest so I know a few things about shooting accuracy) I hunt both mule deer and elk primarily in Utah. Oh by the way I'm pushing 48 real hard and hunt solo via backpack for my mule deer which I pack out myself. NOT bad for a girl. Hunting is more then buying a tag and sitting on a hillside waiting for it to show up on the hillside across from you and shooting it.

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:47 am

::wel to the madness sounds like your a die hard hunter
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:41 pm

](*,) all of you haters should try it once before you pass judgment,of course that would require LOTS of time,work and investment,something most dont have the fortuitude to try.