new here, want to buy first muzzleloader

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
johnnyf
Fawn
Fawn

new here, want to buy first muzzleloader

Post by johnnyf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:07 pm

hey guys,

I've hunted for years but am new to muzzleloading. I'm planning on making the investment on the absolute best quality muzzleloader on the market. I've heard good things about the t/c encore pro hunter. Also are there any good links to suppliers that sell slugs, powder and other accessories? What advice can you give a newbie?

Thanks!

Show_Me_Your_Rack
2 point
2 point

Re: new here, want to buy first muzzleloader

Post by Show_Me_Your_Rack » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:15 am

I have shot many muzzleloaders and the one I would go with would be the CVA Optima Pro in .45 Cal I have had zero problems with mine it is super easy to sight in and you can shoot good groups at 200+ I have killed 2 deer from over 250 yards it is super easy to clean! I will never shoot another muzzleloader unless a better one comes out but that day has not came yet! Last weekend me and my buddy went out hunting and he had a t/c encore pro hunter and he tried many loads and was having a hard time grouping at 150 just jokingly i said why dont you throw that piece of crap away and shoot a real muzzleloader to make a long story short he is using the CVA Optima Pro for the rest of the hunt!!! 10sign:
The situation is you aren’t going to kill a big buck unless there’s a big buck where your huntin!!!

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:23 pm

If you're looking for a "budget" gun you can't go wrong with the CVA Wolf or the Remington Genesis (it's what I shoot and bought it for ~$100). Bought a Traditions Timber Ridge for a C-note as a gift for my dad & it's all but worthless. The gun doesn't have fiber optic sights, the ramrod is plastic which would make reloading quickly in the field impossible, and the breech plug is a bear to remove for cleaning. I wish I would have stepped up to the Wolf for him since Cabela's wasn't carrying the Genesis anymore.
If budget isn't an issue, just make sure you get one that has fiber optic sights (unless you plan on putting a 1x scope on it this is make or break for me and most higher end models have quality sights), all the accessories (ramrod, breech removal tools, etc.) are high quality - if you're looking in store make sure to take everything out of the box and inspect), and have the guy at the gun counter demonstrate how to clean (just to see how easy or difficult it is). Other than that, make sure it looks and feels good to you because you are the most important part of the equation.
As for purchasing all the paraphernalia... a dirty little secret... Wal-Mart generally carries Hodgdon pellets, Hornady slugs (sabots), along with about 1/4 an aisle worth of accessories and they clearance everything off around Thanksgiving. Swing by the sporting goods department to see what they have, then check back regularly to see when they clearance everything. I bought two 20 pack of Hornady sabots & slugs for the price of one and the pellets are usually right around half off. .50 cal is more popular and it's a little bit easier to find accessories and such for that caliber than .45 and .54.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Post by buckykm1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:10 pm

I have the TC Omega 50 cal, it is a awesome shooting gun, 2" groups or less at 200 yards, i shoot 3 - 50 grain 777 pellets and a 200 gr TC shock wave sabot, and easy to clean.

Kevin
Last edited by buckykm1 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:26 pm

shoot powerbelt bullets. with a 50 cal shooting 245gr aero tips and 150 grains of powder my projection arc is close to if not better than some 45 cals. (and every 50 cal shooting sabots) if your shooting a good clean powder you basically can go three to five shots without loosing any consistency where as with a sobot you leave so much plastic behind you need to clean every shot. 209 primers are what most new guns take. "supposedly" the shotshells are to powerful and you should only shoot the muzzy designated ones which run three bucks or more a pack. i think its a marketing ploy and i refuse to bite. i have been hearing quite abit about this "white hot" brand powder it is supposed to be super clean and super consistent. but as far as powder goes just try and borrow some from a buddy or buy two different kinds and compare. the price might be alot but if one powder seems to shoot bettter than the other than use that other powder for things like the first time you take the gun out each year and you just want to get back into the feel of things then switch to your "go to" powder to check your sighting and get dialed in.
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blazerman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Blazerman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 am

I shoot a CVA Optima Pro too and what a great one defiently recommend it

Lunder
Spike
Spike

Post by Lunder » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:25 am

I've been shotting a CVA Accura with the stainless barrel and Camo stock. I love it, it's a great gun. It shoots real well and is easy to clean. I love the break action guns. I would highly recommend a CVA.

NRAssociation
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NRAssociation » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:27 am

Oh, I like these questions! I have an TC Encore Endeavor, with ALL the bells and whistles, including a $400 upgraded laminate thumb hole stock from Thompson Center. I love this black powder gun. First off if your looking for an investment, like any other gun ask your self "if I end up hating it or wanting to trade or sell later, will I get hurt??? I use to have an optima. It shot very well and was VERY rugged, I fell out of a 18' tree stand and land on it strapped to my back, and shot a great 6point white-tail later that day without re sighting it.. The only down sides were "resale" and "bulkiness." :>/ . In my humble opinion, the Encore's resale and value are not an issue because of demand and versatility of interchangeable barrels. Personally, I will not buy an additional barrel for my encore , because I like multiple complete firearms. The encore's best attribute is its over built action. If I were to do it all over again I would have saved a lot of money and bought the TC "bone collector" black powder or find a barely used Knight Disc. These are both in high demand and have high reviews. But, for each his own, good luck!

TreeLine
Spike
Spike

Post by TreeLine » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Love my CVA Accura. Great gun. Check out Thor bullets they are having a great no lead balistic tip made for them by barnes. It proved excellent on my bull this year.

stewberd23
Spike
Spike

Post by stewberd23 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:36 pm

buckykm1 wrote:I have the TC Omega 50 cal, it is a awesome shooting gun, 2" groups or less at 200 yards, i shoot 3 - 50 grain 777 pellets and a 200 gr TC shock wave sabot, and easy to clean.

Kevin
I shoot the Omega 50 Cal as well, but with 100 grains of loose powder, and a 250 gr tc shock wave sabot, and agreed it is easy to clean and it shoots great!!
Do Work