Nikon Omega vs Leupold SABR

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
MNHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Nikon Omega vs Leupold SABR

Post by MNHunter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:15 am

Anybody have any experience with these scopes on their muzzle loader? I am really interested to hear what people thought of the different BDC reticules and if there have been any reliability issues. I have a TC Pro hunter and I would like to take it out for a spring bear hunt and possibly for Elk/Mule deer next fall. I have never had a scope on it as I have always just used it in Minnesota where scope aren't allowed during our ML Whitetail season.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

Ross

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Re: Nikon Omega vs Leupold SABR

Post by maintguy47 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:52 pm

I've got a nikon omega on my pursuit II just got back from my hunt in NM. Have a gun mount on my 4wheeler where it road for 5 days. Temps got as low as -14, ice,snow. I had to eat tagsoup but it wasn't becuase of the scope. It proformed great. Never fogged and twilight veiwing was great. The day after my time was up I put 50 rounds thru my 50cal at differant yrds. Lap em at 100yrds, 2" group at 150, 3" group at 200 to 250 3 to 3.75" at 300. Took all day becuase I cleaned and cooled after each shot. I used 150grns of triple7 and a 245 grn Powerbelt. My barell is two inches longer than the standerd and it has a muzzlebreak but my shoulder still stiff. Anyway I love that Nikon the belistaplexes where dead on for me and I abuse all my equipment cuase thats just the way I hunt. If it can't keep up I donate it to the boy scout or some other organization if it's still usefull.

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:37 pm

Check the regs in whatever state you plan to hunt next year. A number of western states do not allow magnified scopes on muzzle loaders.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 pm

I am a big fan and owner of both Nikon and Leupold scopes but I found a Bushnell DOA ML scope and have been more than pleased. I have used it the last two seasons and it has performed great for $160.00 http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes ... oduct/?n=7

MNHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MNHunter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks for the info Guys.

And thanks Southwind, I didn't know bushnell made a ML specific scope. I am going to have to take a look when I go to Cabelas this weekend. I like to put my hands on stuff there and then try and find the best deal online.