CVA Wolf 209 Magnum .50

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
LCMCREV
Fawn
Fawn

CVA Wolf 209 Magnum .50

Post by LCMCREV » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:14 am

Looking for reviews of this inline muzzleloader from those who own one or have actually fired it. Traditional or "restricted" muzzleloader hunts have decreased here in New Mexico. Seems our state is going the way of "modern" blackpowder hunting. Would appreciate reports on this rifle. Thanks.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Re: CVA Wolf 209 Magnum .50

Post by fatrooster » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Accurate and dependable. My buddy has hunted with one of these for years and has never had a problem with it. fatrooster.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:17 pm

I wish I would have bought the Wolf instead of the Timber Ridge for my father a couple years back.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:22 am

Great gun for a great price. Break in the barrel properly and you will never have a complaint. The new CVAs are far superior to the ones from 5-10 years ago so don't listen to the bad press. They are safe and legit 150 yard muzzys.
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Wolf is an awesome gun. The new 2010 models with the quick release breech plugs are absolute tack drivers. My nephews prefers 100gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209 Magnum primers and the new 250gr Aerolite Powerbelt. :not-worthy

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 am

I've had a few inlines. Knights, CVA Accura V2, Optima, Vortek UL, and Omega. I never found one that I really liked. They were all ok, and would get the job done for hunting, but there was always something that I didn't like about them, or they weren't as accurate as I hoped.

I also like and shoot traditional Hawkens, but I find them limited and heavy to hunt with. My eyesight at 68 is bad, and open sights don't work anymore for me.

So, I wanted to try an inline one more time, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. I saw the Wolf package that CVA offered. It comes with a 3x9x32 Konus Pro scope and gun case. The scope is mounted with Durasight mounts, and it bore sighted.

I had my doubts that i'd like it. I though it was just a low budget rifle, and couldn't be as good as the inlines i've already owned. I paid $245 at my local gun shop. I figured I couldn't get hurt too bad if I didn't like it.

I took it out of the case, and was surprised at how ell it looked. I shouldered it, and it fit perfect. Same effective recoil pad that comes on the Accura V2. Good. The scope was crystal clear, and very fine crosshair. Good.

I shoot the ML season in Colorado, and have to shoot full bore conicals. I wanted to try the new Aerolite Powerbelts 250gr. I took it home and cleaned out the packing oil from the barrel, and also use some JB in the barrel to polish it up.

Off to the range to see how it shoots. I used 90 gr of BH 209 and CCI 209M primers. Unaltered breech plug, but I did adjust the firing pin housing to take out all the play of the primers.

First shot at 25yds to see if the scope was close. It was 2" low and 1" left. 2nd shot was in the same hole. They did a good job of bore sighting. I was impressed so far. I also liked that the recoil was soft. The stock is a perfect fit for me, and the recoil pad really works well. I usually put a Simms Limbsaver recoil pad on my guns, but I won't on this one.

I adjust the scope, and two more shots are dead center and 1" high. Perfect. I skipped 50 yds, and went to 75 yds. 3 shots are dead center 1/2' high, and 3/4" group. Suddenly I have a smile on my face that won't go away. I'm more than impressed.

I went to 100yds, and got similar results to 75 yds. This gun is a keeper. The trigger is creep free and crisp. I was worried about the shorter barrel not being accurate. I should have known better. It might have an effect at long yardages, but I hunt in high timber in the Rockies, and 125 yds is my max range.

I have some Thor 250gr bullets coming. I have a little more faith in their terminal performance over the Powerbelts, but I will say the PB's are deadly accurate in my Wolf.

The Wolf will be my elk gun this year, and I have confidence it will get the job done without a problem.
Keep your nose in the wind.

ABert

Post by ABert » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Muley Stalker, you are aware that any optics on a muzzy are not allowed in CO, right?
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm very aware. My eyesight is so bad the DOW gave me a lifetime permit to use a scope in ML season.

I had a hard time accepting the idea, but then thought it's the best for a humane kill if I can put the bullet where it belongs. I'm sure i'll get some flak from other hunters, but i'm more concerned for the animal. I talked to my local warden, and he's glad to see me using a method that makes me more accurate.
Keep your nose in the wind.