Colorado Muzzy Hunters

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Re: Colorado Muzzy Hunters

Post by Muley Stalker » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 am

Yup! Can't use sabots, pellets, or scopes in Colorado.
Keep your nose in the wind.

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:49 pm

You are correct, sabots are not allowed in Colorado during muzzle loader season. The same goes for pelletized powder, and scopes. If you were to use a muzzle loader during a rifle season, you could use sabots, a scope, and pelletized powder.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Whites are great conical guns, but as you mentioned they are no longer in business. I have a Thompson Center Omega, I have never put a conical through it, but they are known for being very finicky with them. I have also heard that the Hornady FPB's and Thor bullets shoot well out of them which would be legal for Colorado. If you are looking for a gun specific for Colorado it is probably best to look somewhere besides Thompson Center.

ncook05
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ncook05 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks guys! It is good to know you can use a scope and sabots during the rifle season, I couldn't seem to find it in the big game regs book but maybe I just overlooked it.

txhunter58
Fawn
Fawn

Post by txhunter58 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Unfortunately, no gun maker currently caters to conicals since so many more people shoot sabots. Those of us who just shoot conicals have to "make do". Although I don't own a CVA, but the Accura and the Optima have good track records with conicals. Knights are also known as good conical shooters. Any of the disc exteme models and the long range hunter. I assume the new Mountaineer will do the same. I have a LRH with a bare primer conversion. My T/C Omega didn't shoot conicals worth a D^#^ until I had the QLA cut off.

Then there is the second problem. I love shooting Blackhorn 209 powder. My T/C shoots BH 209 great! But normal breechplugs on the Knights won't shoot BH reliably. And I hear CVAs have the same problem. I have a Lehigh conversion breechplug for my LRH and it shoots BH great. THere are several ways to get the CVA plug to work as well, but don't know exactly how that is done. Good luck

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:13 pm

CVA and Western have BH BP's for the CVA guns. You can also just adjust the head space for a tight fit of the primers, and the stock CVA plugs works fine for BH 209. With the added benefit of no blowback.

If you want to shoot conicals. A CVA gun is a safe bet.

ncook05
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ncook05 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Is Knight still in business because I thought they went out of business as well? Right now I am leaning toward the CVA Accura. I have shot the accura before but with sabots and they are nice shooting guns.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 am

Knight did go out of business, but they're back in production now.

30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30Ultra » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:02 am

SHooting a Knight Disc Extreme here. It just flat loves Blackhorn 209 under a 435gr conical sized .503".