Muzzy Bullet Review From CVA Optima

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Muzzy Bullet Review From CVA Optima

Post by waspocrew » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:05 am

I bought a CVA Optima earlier this year and it didn't take long to find out that it shoots many bullets really well. It's an excellent muzzleloader and for only $200, I consider it to be a screaming deal. All of these bullets were shot with 2 (50) grn pellets of T7 along with CCI muzzleloader primers.

Bullet #1 - 240 Grn Hornady XTP
xtp1.jpg
xtp1.jpg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
After reading great reviews, I tried this bullet out along with the green Harvester Crush Rib sabot. Super easy to load down the barrel even after multiple shots without cleaning. This was shot at 100 yards:
xtp.jpg
xtp.jpg (39.65 KiB) Viewed 20041 times

Bullet #2 - 250 Grn TC Shockwave
I bought these for $5 at Walmart on clearance and thought I'd give them a try. These were fairly easy to load as well and shot pretty consistently. 100 yard group:
shockwave.jpg
shockwave.jpg (47.36 KiB) Viewed 20041 times

Bullet #3 - 300 Grn CVA Slickload Sabot
slickload1.jpg
slickload1.jpg (73.47 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
Again, I found these on sale, and heard how accurate they were. The name was right- the were the easiest to load. I could push them down the barrel with one finger on the ramrod. I didn't have the chance to shoot at 100, but the results were awesome at 50. First group:
slickload2.jpg
slickload2.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
I heard that these bullets could be picky with seating pressure, so I seated them a little more lightly and the results were awesome! 4 shots at 50 yards:
slickload3.jpg
slickload3.jpg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
Bullet #4 - 300 Traditions Smackdown SST
SST.jpg
SST.jpg (29.14 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
I wanted a little tougher bullet than the slickload, so I tried these out. They were fairly easy to load and shot excellent groups at 100 yards. Here's 3 shots:
muzzyhunt4.jpg
muzzyhunt4.jpg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
I used them on my muzzy hunt this year and shot a buck at roughly 95 yards. It passed completely through and all I found inside the deer was the ballistic tip.

I'm sure I can get better accuracy with loose powder, but I'm very impressed with how the CVA has performed.

Shedfreak88
2 point
2 point

Re: Muzzy Bullet Review From CVA Optima

Post by Shedfreak88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 am

Great review :thumb seems to be one heck of a shooter for sure
"Big bucks didn't get big from being killed when they were young, Let Em' Go Let Em' Grow "-KB

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:20 am

Sweet mercy, why did you not use the Shockwave?!? That's about as good group you could ask for.

Great write up.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:15 pm

derekp1999 wrote:Sweet mercy, why did you not use the Shockwave?!? That's about as good group you could ask for.
I thought about using the shockwave but I ended up going with the heavier SST in case I tried to fill my cow elk tag during my muzzy deer hunt. I never had time to look for elk though..

Top Gun
Spike
Spike

Post by Top Gun » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Great review. Were you shooting open sites?

Unfortunately I've had bad luck with the shockwaves on game but they are great for paper. Fortunately for you you didnt use them. :)

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Top Gun wrote:Great review. Were you shooting open sites?

Unfortunately I've had bad luck with the shockwaves on game but they are great for paper. Fortunately for you you didnt use them. :)
I was actually using a traditions 1x scope shooting off of some homemade sand bags. What helped most was placing a large X on my targets with duct tape. That allowed me to settle the crosshairs fairly consistently.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:26 pm

waspocrew wrote:I thought about using the shockwave but I ended up going with the heavier SST in case I tried to fill my cow elk tag during my muzzy deer hunt. I never had time to look for elk though..
I forgot about the cow tag you have... BTW, I'm still working on getting that officer's number for you. My friend still has the officer's card & but whenever we cross paths it slips our minds. I'll see him again for the muzzleloader elk hunt & hopefully I can get it from him then.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:57 pm

derekp1999 wrote: I forgot about the cow tag you have... BTW, I'm still working on getting that officer's number for you. My friend still has the officer's card & but whenever we cross paths it slips our minds. I'll see him again for the muzzleloader elk hunt & hopefully I can get it from him then.
That would be awesome! Thanks again for looking into that for me- I really appreciate it!