The slowest 10 days of the year

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
highcountryarchery
Spike
Spike

Re: The slowest 10 days of the year

Post by highcountryarchery » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:04 pm

My muzzy hunt don't start till the day after thanksgiving so it's gonna be a long wait but good luck next week to you guys.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:45 pm

archerycrazy wrote:Waspo...it was fun reading about your 2012 hunt. You got your two-point last year...how do you like your chances at seeing a bigger buck? As tempting as it is to take a smaller buck early in the hunt, you almost always have to pass on several to find a mature buck. Whatever you decide, it should be exciting. Let us know how your last scouting trip turns out.
Sorry for such a long time to get back and post.... I ended up scouting the property I hunted last year and was surprised that I only turned up a few deer. The moon has been plenty bright out over the last few nights so that May have had something to do with it. I only saw two 2 point bucks. One was a nice looking buck with brow tines. I've never seen those on a smaller 2 point before. Anyways, I'm hoping for be able to find a bigger buck. I basically have until Saturday to tag out- after that gets a little busy with tests, family pictures, and a sister leaving on an LDS mission on Wednesday the 2nd. If all goes well, this will be my last hunting season for quite a while (medical school interviews are starting up for me in about a week), so I'll probably take whatever presents the best shot.

On a side note, I took my muzzy out one last time to check zero and see how it shot at 200 yards. I placed 4 out of 5 shots into a 10 inch pie plate and felt pretty good! I'm stoked for tomorrow morning!

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:01 am

Well, it's over for my group... put a dent in the Ogden herd! I'll put together a little write up in the next couple days.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Hahahahaha.

Wac em en stack em. :thumb
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:18 pm

I gotta say, that looks like a fun time and some good eats. How many shots to harvest all those?-----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Springville Shooter wrote:How many shots to harvest all those?
All 1 shot kills. We had 2 other bucks that were missed... one due to distance and a bigger buck due to a case of buck fever.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

archerycrazy
Spike
Spike

Post by archerycrazy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:22 pm

My brother and I have hunted the last four days and have seen over 40 bucks. We helped a friend get a nice three point opening day (His first buck ever). We could have killed decent three points and forked horns every day of the hunt but we have held off hoping for a chance at one of the bigger bucks that keep giving us the slip. Thursday evening I spotted a group of about 10 bucks all 3 point or better, including two giants. We have come close the past two days but have not yet gotten a shot. Tonight I had one of the bigger bucks at 40 yards 5 minutes after legal shooting light...frustrating to say the least. We have a few more days to hunt next week, but will soon be getting to where filling the freezer is the top priority. We hope to keep seeing bucks like we have and not regretting letting so many walk.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:19 am

I tried on the Muzzy Friday night and Saturday 1/2 day. Probably only time I had to get out, was after a particular buck or his younger brother and couldn't find either one. Afraid the bigger boy may be dead, as other guys where after him also and I couldn't hunt the first 3 days. Passed on a spike and that's the only buck I saw. Unit 28

archerycrazy
Spike
Spike

Post by archerycrazy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:54 pm

I got my first muzzy buck this evening. Not one of the real monsters we were chasing, but I'm happy nonetheless. I saw this buck feed out into a clearing on Saturday evening and couldn't quite get a shot. I got there early this evening and found some good cover about 200 yards from where he fed out on Saturday. As soon as the sun dipped beyond the horizon he stepped out only a few feet from where he had done previously. I got him at 190 yards and the 300 grain Hornady SST did its job. I may write up a more detailed story later. Best of luck to those still hunting.
Attachments
photo 3 (2).jpg