Elk Next week ?? He Got One !!!!!!

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:40 pm

UtahRob

That's AWESOME!! :thumb

Congrats to your son on a fine shot, with a great guide. :)

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:47 pm

UtahRob, CONGRATS TO YOUR SON ON A FINE LOOKIN' SPIKE!!!!

Man, that is just awesome!

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:46 pm

congrats to your son Rob. hes lucky he has such a good guide :)
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:47 pm

This was Cody's first animal taken of any kind !!
And I am so proud of him for using a Muzzle Loader. =D>
I think He is hooked on them smoke poles now !!!!!!!!! :thumb

Man I am so sore and so tired !!!
I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!

TreeLine
Spike
Spike

Post by TreeLine » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:08 pm

Congratulations on Cody's first animal. Well done. =D>

J0n
Spike
Spike

Post by J0n » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:40 pm

=D> Congratulations to your son. Great story and great pictures. I know I'm not alone when I say that some of my best memories are of hunting with my Dad. Your son will never forget that hunt. Not only because it was his first elk but because his Dad was with him. :thumb

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:07 pm

Well today we ate some back straps marinated and barbecued .. :thumb This is the first Elk meat I have had since I was 9 years old . This stuff is better than i thought it would be.

Now that Cody has filled his tag its my turn to hunt . :thumb
I only have time to hunt a couple evenings. But it will be nice to get out in hills a couple more times. Seeing my son get a Elk is one of the best things that has happened to me for a long time. =D> We are so thankful to be living in a place were Elk are so close to our home .

We moved here from Sacramento Calif. a year ago Sept. This state is a Awesome place to live. :thumb Low crime and such a good atmisfear to raise children. =D> Sacramento and most of the big cities in California have been ruined by the gangs. :>/ Also if you don't make at least $55.000 a year you just can't afford to live in a nice neighborhood. :>/ When we left Calif. a 1100 sq.ft home in a bad nieberhood was going for $300.000 . Thats insane !!! Anyway Hyde park Utah is our home now and forever and i am so grateful to be living here. :thumb

Take Care and God bless-
Rob Kempton.

OHIOFLATLANDER
Spike
Spike

Post by OHIOFLATLANDER » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:08 am

Great story. Question, if you have time...Why do they have a spike only hunt? Just curious, doesent make sense to me, I'm sure theres a reason for it.

Thanks for sharing the hunt with us!!!
ELK DON'T KNOW HOW MANY FEET A HORSE HAS!!!

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:20 pm

I'm not sure why our area is spike only.
Some one else probably may know the reasoning for it.
I would like to know also !!

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:23 pm

I did find this info !!

http://www.monstermuleys.com/cgi-bin/st ... 2&tem=art1

The benefit of spike-bull hunting is that bulls are removed that would have grown to an older age. On spike-bull units, hunters can only harvest a bull with a spike antler on at least one side. Most of these bulls are yearlings, but even with a high harvest, 15 percent of the spikes survive. Also, some yearlings already have two points and are not legal to harvest during the spike hunt. The remaining bulls are then protected until they reach the quality hunters want to harvest.

Spike-bull hunts allow us to harvest three or four mature bulls per 100 elk in the population and still maintain our quality objective. We still hold antlerless hunts to meet population objective, but since we removed part of the population as surplus bulls, the harvest of cows is much lower and we can maintain a productive herd. This is the same idea as thinning your carrots when they're young so more of the remaining carrots can grow to the size you want to harvest.

Some call this management tool "catch-and-release elk hunting" since the spike-bull hunters have the pleasure of seeing the big bulls during their hunt but cannot take them home.