Buying Muzzleloading Equipment

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Re: Buying Muzzleloading Equipment

Post by GUTPYLZ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:31 am

bc.pse wrote:GUTPYLZ-I Saw that you shot a smoke pole buck....what did you shoot it with? What bullets, powder, ect. should I use?
I shot mine with a CVA Apex. Frontier Gander, was part to blame for me to go CVA. I had my mind set on a TC Endevour. You're going to find that most Muzzleloaders are different, even when made by the same company and model. I"m personally a fan of Precision. I shot that buck with a QT's 215gr. It hit bone in the both shoulders and ended up under the skin on the other side and still held together. I was leary of a small grain, but wanted more for flat shooting. I"m still messing around on the powders. I used triple 777 and I'm not as happy with that as I am the Pyrodex 50/50. I"m going to try Blackhorn 209 and White hots. I've heard wonderful things about both. I'm not the expert here, I've only huted Muzzleloader twice in my life. I've been fortunate to harvest mature bucks each time, but Frontier is probably the expert with Muzzy's on this Forum and others. Look at some of his older posts. I'm still happy to help you out with anything you might need.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Re: Buying Muzzleloading Equipment

Post by UtahRob » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:59 pm

A 78.00 CVA optima from Wal Mart at close out prices got the job done a for my son . One 300 grain XTP at 90 yards dropped this spike in its tracks . :thumb ] Another real muzzle loader at 1/6 the price of my Encore !! :thumb 10sign: I would not think twice about getting a CVA or Traditions . Also check out the new CVA Apex it a great gun and will give TC's Encore a run for the money. But i think the best gun for you money is the TC Omega !! IMO They had one siting around at my local wal mart on close out and it went for 150 .00 . I should have snagged it but i only need one .